Any KL-ZE's in Europe

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: KLZE in Europe

Post by IanL »

mmac wrote: 1/ As Bastian said a KL62 ECU with MAF, but that might require rewiring the loom in the engine bay to connect to the MAF.(IanL might be the man for guidance with that, he seems to have wiring diagrams for everything!!)
I can't offer complete guidance on that, because I don't know how to emulate the ATX solenoids, which you would need to do to get rid of the fault codes. But as long as you don't want the EGR system to work, which is normally the case with the KLZE swap, I know how to cross-wire the rest.
2/An ECU from 1995 onwards MX-6(I don't know the part number), provided that it has 4 connectors, and a MX-6 VAF(KL02). The car should run perfectly well on this though the VRIS points won't be 100% correct and as a result you might be down a few bhp(not much though)
This would require the same re-wiring as the KL62 (in fact it's more than if you use a 3-connector ECU), except no need to rewire for the MAF. I think this setup is fine for a KLDE, but wrong for a KLZE. It could help the immobiliser problem (see below) if the car it was taken from had the factory immobiliser.

The part numbers for a UK MX-6 are:

With immobiliser - KLA4-18-881
Without immobiliser - KLA2-18-881B

There is also a KLH6-18-881B - this one is annotated STG EM (something to do with steering?). It's probably got the immobiliser function, but one can't be sure.
3/ Rewiring the loom connectors that go to your ECU from 4 plugs to 3 plugs(IanL definitely has info on this). This should allow you to use a KL31 or KL36 ECU with your MX-3 VAF(JE50)
Yes, this is the route I recommend, because, ironically, it's less rewiring than getting a 4-connector ECU!

However, there is the complication of the factory immobiliser. If the car has one, the replacement ECU won't implement it, and the car may end up permanently immobilised. I'm sure this can be overcome with some detective work, but I don't have the wiring diagram for the European 4-connector ECU MX-3. The Canadian one (which I do have) is no help on this score, as it doesn't have an immobiliser :(
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

Yeah I've fitted a PRM intake.

and

When i bought my car I deliberately got a early one (pre 1995) to try and minimise any complications with regard to the ECU when I did the engine change.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”