HID Retrofit kits?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
bubbaflaat

Re: HID Retrofit kits?

Post by bubbaflaat »

Where did you get the e-spec/ j-spec lights. And for how much? Would you be willing to sell a pair? Are the J-spec ones glass as well?
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED, DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM. - MX-3.com Admin
Taras

Post by Taras »

I got them as a front end chop with a bumper and re-bar and part of the frame. And yes they my J-spec headlights are for sale. Lens is plastic though.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

What is the differance between J-spec and A-spec? I know the light on low beam would go to the wrong side of the road. But anything else. Oh they use H4 bulbs right? Have you used them? Any differance in light performace? How much?
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

What would these do for me? If anything?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 70684&rd=1
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Originally posted by JDM:
DOT regulations do not allow use of E-spec lights unless a specific state makes an amendment, like WA state has.

JDM, you wouldn't happen to have a source where I could read up on this? I happen to live in WA and comment sounds inviting for more options...I already tried some Google searches; unfortunately I came up with nothing. Thanks
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

Actually, the SilverStar's are available in a 9004. Check out the link from the Osram/Sylvania website.

These are the same bulbs they sell worldwide, and do not appear blue at all when they are on. They are available at Canadian Tire up here - I would think that they shouldn't be hard to find in the states.

More of why 9004's are crappy: 700 Lumens on low/1200 Lumens on high vs. 910/1500 for H4's, 1310 for H3's, 1350 for H7's, or 1510 for H1's (again from Osram/Sylvania's specs for the SilverStar bulbs).

<small>[ November 26, 2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: JP ]</small>
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Currently using PIAA 9004 Super White (65/45W) purchased 3 years ago. Says it's supposed to "perform like 100W/85W bulb. Will I actually be upgrading the quality by switching to "Silverstars"?
:confused2:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by JP:
These are the same bulbs they sell worldwide, and do not appear blue at all when they are on. They are available at Canadian Tire up here - I would think that they shouldn't be hard to find in the states.
Sylvania sells SilverStar in Northamerica as a blue coated bulb.

Osram sells SilverStar in Europe as a +50 bulb that is not coated.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Really not an issue for me if a bulb is coated or not. Will it give me better lighting than what I have as explained in my previous post?
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by MX3-Freak:
Originally posted by JDM:
DOT regulations do not allow use of E-spec lights unless a specific state makes an amendment, like WA state has.

JDM, you wouldn't happen to have a source where I could read up on this? I happen to live in WA and comment sounds inviting for more options...I already tried some Google searches; unfortunately I came up with nothing. Thanks
A quick search found this:
LINK
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

JOhn, you are still pulling 45w with those PIAA's, so besides the colour of the light and may be a marginal improvement in brightness you may not see too much of a difference. The construction of the bulb will make a difference. Whether a PIAA is better than Sylvania, I do not know. Buy a set and compare.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by Bubbaflaat:
What would these do for me? If anything?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 70684&rd=1
Waste your money?
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
Taras

Post by Taras »

Originally posted by Bubbaflaat:
What is the differance between J-spec and A-spec? I know the light on low beam would go to the wrong side of the road. But anything else. Oh they use H4 bulbs right? Have you used them? Any differance in light performace? How much?
J-spec lights are plastic lens, flare to a different side of the road, otherwise the same beam. They are H4, yes. I have used them for a few years. The beam is evenly distributead and much wider than out DOT stock lights. Cut off is fairly sharp and it does not have a defined hot spot right in the middle of the beam. Good choice of H4 bulbs out there for them too. I was hoping to sell them for Cad$250. Philips VP Bulbs are already in my GF's car and are not for sale.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
bubbaflaat

Post by bubbaflaat »

aight.. How much wiring do you need to do to run H4s in them?
Taras

Post by Taras »

Not much, you cut off 9004 connector and splice in an H4 connector, both got three wires: high beam, low beam and ground. Pretty brainless. If you want a further improvement in output or want to run overwattage bulbs (not too much overwattage - 65/70W) you will need to build a relayed harness, also not too difficult if you are comfortable with wiring.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”