how to get power supply to indiglo gauges

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
2.5mx3

Re: how to get power supply to indiglo gauges

Post by 2.5mx3 »

Yeah, what he said!

;)
Hank
'92 MX-3 ZE *SOLD*
'05 RX-8 Touring

--All those who wander are not lost-- JRR Tolkien
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

the dimmer wire i'm talking about is the constant power wire for the dimmer switch lightbulb.

It isn't the variable voltage wire that tells how bright/dim the bulbs in the dash should be, that wire is a different color (red/gray i believe).
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

I know gro..But it was because people was talking about ruining their indiglos when hooking them into their dimmer,so i just explained why some have experienced that and posted a solution :)
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

mine is hooked up to the dimmer wire (constant power of course).

Those who have wrecked them I`d bet hooked them up to the dimmer variable power wire.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

i just hooked up mine to battery and put in switch that i can turn them on/off and fuse wouldnt be too bad in case of short
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

I'm about to wire mine in and before I do that I just wanted to clarify a few things. I've decided to use the wires behind the dimmer switch since this seems to be the easiest to get access to. Now, heind the dimmer are 3 wires:

1) Red w/ black stripe
2) Solid Red
3) Solid Black

What I want to know is, which wire between #1 and #2 is the constant 12V line and which is the variable? As I understand it, I should be tapping into the constant 12V line, correct?

For the ground, am I able to use splice into the black wire on the dimmer or should I just find a metal bracket underneath to solder the ground onto??

As a side question that's slightly related, I'm also thinking about putting in some lights to my heater vents and was wondering as far as getting power to them goes, is it safe to assume that any wire that matches whatever the 12V constant wire I'm looking for behind the dimmer will also be the same 12V wire as well?? For example, if the red w/ black stripe wire behind the dimmer is the 12V constant, will the red w/ black stripe wire behind the hazzard switch also be a 12V constant since they look the same?? :?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

1) Red w/ black stripe
2) Solid Red
3) Solid Black
1) = Constant 12V
2) = Variable (about 2 - 10V)
3) = Ground

The RED / BLK wire should be the same anywhere you find it. Before hooking up your vent lights, just stick a test light on it to make sure.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Thanks for the quick reply, Grants! Being that the black wire is ground, would it be ok to splice the ground wire from the inverter into the black on the dimmer as well?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Yes that would be ok - it will also keep the wiring nice and neat which is always a good thing too.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”

Return to “Appearance”