carbon fiber hood ( seriously)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
marshmallow15

Re: carbon fiber hood ( seriously)

Post by marshmallow15 »

hey visual...its true. painting cf hoods with pearl paint is not a good idea because it can make the cf really soaky and wet and just break it down...but most people who do that dont drive their cars daily...usually they drive it onto a trailer and to shows...so most of them dont worry about their hoods heating up.<P>what if you clearcoated your cf hood and THEN put a coat of pearl? maybe thats a different story?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

there ARE howevery cf hoods where the cf is colored before being baked in the pressurized oven. i will post links to websites on my carbonfiber how to on where to purchase everything you need to make your own carbon fiber panels.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

u CANNOT put paint on TOP of clearcoat :roll: clearcoat is made to protect base coat(paint) when its OVER the paint not UNDER it.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>what if you clearcoated your cf hood and THEN put a coat of pearl? maybe thats a different story?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>whoa easy there....i said what if.
- team slideways
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mitmaks:<BR><STRONG>u CANNOT put paint on TOP of clearcoat :) Reminds me of why I joined this board in the first place.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

yes u can put paint over clear coat, BUT nobody does it cause u know why, its gonna peel off clear coat, clear coat wasnt designed for paint(base coat) to be applied over it, well maybe it will stick for some time but not for long, it will peel off eventually, thats why before repainting whole car you want to get off all clear coat as much of it as possible, thats what they do in pro shops so that primer, sealer, etc will adhere to surface, you can do that yourself if you want, but NO professional is gonna do it for you, i mean shop, its gonna void paint warranty due to adhesion problems. and i know all this stuff i am not mechanic or know it all like some of you here are, but i am bodyman i know everything about body works, so i can give advice. and why would anyone paint c/f hood? :eek: thats like putting pinstripes in "maaco" on $5K paint job from custom shop, i mean you gonna spoil looks, most people like looks of real c/f, if you want it just for light hood and yet painted, get fiberglass.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mitmaks:<BR><STRONG>yes u can put paint over clear coat, BUT nobody does it cause u know why, its gonna peel off clear coat, clear coat wasnt designed for paint(base coat) to be applied over it, well maybe it will stick for some time but not for long, it will peel off eventually, thats why before repainting whole car you want to get off all clear coat as much of it as possible, thats what they do in pro shops so that primer, sealer, etc will adhere to surface, you can do that yourself if you want, but NO professional is gonna do it for you, i mean shop, its gonna void paint warranty due to adhesion problems. and i know all this stuff i am not mechanic or know it all like some of you here are, but i am bodyman i know everything about body works, so i can give advice. and why would anyone paint c/f hood? :eek: thats like putting pinstripes in "maaco" on $5K paint job from custom shop, i mean you gonna spoil looks, most people like looks of real c/f, if you want it just for light hood and yet painted, get fiberglass.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have been working in a paint shop for almost 3 years now, and the man who owns it (my father) has been painting since he graduated High School. I have NEVER heard of anyone sanding off the entire clear coat of paint. I have heard of people sanding to metal, but that is a waste of time unless the car has been painted 10+ times. ALL you need to get a good bond is a rough surface. Be it primer, basecoat or clear coat. IF what you say is true "yes u can put paint over clear coat, BUT nobody does it cause u know why, its gonna peel off clear coat" Then the second coat of clear would peel right off the first. If you take the car in and spray it as it sits, yes it will peel off, but if you sand it down and give it a rough surface, then there is no reason a second base coat couldn't be applied. No offence to you, but if you're sanding off all the clear coat, you're working way too hard bro.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Hey man, there is a hood on ebay. Item number <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1850535534" TARGET=_blank>1850535534</A>
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

well is hood gonna be made? please someone help out i want this hood bad
jonathanj

Post by jonathanj »

i am going to use my hood but yes the carbon fiber hood will be made. probably before october. i will post and let you know how it turns out. if it turns out good ill sell them. if not ill try again. and again, and again.

Return to “Appearance”