if you have the Mazdaspeed exhaust..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Sam Baker

Re: if you have the Mazdaspeed exhaust..

Post by Sam Baker »

drone... hmm... i duno bout that. i had a muffler on my other car and i dont remember that. all i know about is the "breaking" sound.. like at around 3000rpms when it starts crackling or somethin.. ya thats tight :D
~ sam
92 Autozam AZ3
Taras

Post by Taras »

Mason, if I were you, I would wait until you drop in your 2.5 It does not drone as bad. When I had my Brullen (2.25" mandrel, stainless, cat-back, 18" resonator - straight through, straight through muffler) on my old 1.8 it was loud and bad. Sounded like a loud superbike. Now, with Ze, it is quite quiet, considering it is a straight though design. If I were you I would get a good chambered muffler and a long resonator with custom 2.5 pipe.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
mxer4eva

Post by mxer4eva »

There are a few things you need to consider, the first being is that do you want an exhaust that will not drone only or do you the want the ability(read bragging rights ) of saying that you have a Mazdaspeed exhaust.

If you'd like the bragging rights and the nice exhaust i'd say go for it. The price is up there with the price of any high quality exhaust from any of the top vendors and adding the price of exclusivity into the price its about right.

Now if you want a nice exhaust that isnt to expensive, get some piping and some mandrel bends of the ID of your choice. Find someone that can weld or learn like im doing right now. Then just copy the same pattern of the orginal stock exhaust, replace your cat with a high flow peice or a resonated test pipe. That takes care of the piping and if you look around you can get all of that for not too much money.

Now you need to get the proper muffler, I am biased so I would go with a borla muffler. But I hear that Magnaflow is really good too. Either way give one of those companies a call and tell them what your goals are and they should be able to point you to the right unit. Remember that Borla comes with a million mile warranty and are all stainless steel too. But it is up to you!

thanks
1993 GSR - Black with CS Mazdaspeed style front and sides skirts, KLDE and a bunch of other mods. Patiently awaiting a T3Super60, intercooler,MSnS and a custom fuel rail.
1993 VW Corrado SLC- completely stock. (May she R.I.P)
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

Still fighting the "drone wars" eh mason? :) ), but the mazdaspeed will take it all away. But i do agree with the other guy that posted... the 2.5 doesnt really have a drone sound to it unless you're using a fart cannon muffler.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Yeah, I was thinkin I'd just wait for the 2.5 and then decide after that - plus I'll be able to feel whatever difference an exhaust makes on the larger engine, and that will be fun. :) As fighting drone, at least on the 1.8, I've been there/done all that with the custom stuff etc, and that thing just drones.. One small theory I have is maybe that range is where it's a little lacking in power and it's working harder to get the job done etc. (because it quiets down when you start getting into the real powerband - as long as you're not on it, haha) I may still go for the MS system later though, who knows. Ooh, also, somebody said resonated pipe for the cat.. did you mean resonator or did you mean cat? Never thought of getting a resonated piece for right there. (and I know on the 1.8, it just makes the drone worse when u get rid of it, haha) Thanks for the input!
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
GuidoBiRiChiNo

Post by GuidoBiRiChiNo »

On my previous GS, I installed a straight through muffler on the stock exhaust and it drone a lot...
A friend of mine put the Remus muffler and the sound was really cool, with no noticeable drone (neither performance).

On my actual GS, I have a ZE with custom 3-1 headers and two 2" pipes all the way back... with this setup I tried magnaflow mufflers and resonators, flowmasters, h pipe and remus...
In all my testing a NEVER had the drone, I had the loudest car I ever heard, the badest sounding, the weirdest... but no drone at all.

Imo it is definitely a header issue.
-italian lonely MX'er-
Taras

Post by Taras »

Mason, remember that MS exhaust was designed for 1.8 too. May be a consideration to think about.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”