Ummmmmm. Have we seen this yet? Eaton supercharger?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Ummmmmm. Have we seen this yet? Eaton supercharger?

Post by Custommx3 »

Regarding techincal problems with your starter/supercharger....
How do you overcome the effects of our alternator only producing 90 amps in a v6 and 70 amps in a 4cl? I noticed the above stated a battery and an alternator. DO we have to get ours re-wound? Or, do you already have them?
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

But screw the electric kit. I want some info on the traditional supercharger for th K8 engine. Dyno charts maybe?

And is there a kit made to fit the KL-ZE for those that are already maxed out in power with an engine swap already, amybe they can get even more than the 200 HP. Maybe 300 HP even???
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

I would like to be able to send my intake manifold to them, have them modify it to house the supercharger. I really can't see spending that much money on that kit. If it was around 2 grand then I would buy it. Maybe a suggestion to TKT is to lower the price? Maybe accept customers intake manifolds to modify?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by mx3man83:
I would like to be able to send my intake manifold to them, have them modify it to house the supercharger. I really can't see spending that much money on that kit. If it was around 2 grand then I would buy it. Maybe a suggestion to TKT is to lower the price? Maybe accept customers intake manifolds to modify?
Well if you wanted to do it on a budget, maybe you could rip the intake/superchager off a Millenia S and try to get that to work on your KLZE?
boosthead

Post by boosthead »

Sorry if I came on strong, but you must understand how frustrating it can be breaking new technological ground under the spectre of false accusations...

Someone said the ESC system was $3K, and then you have to buy all the batteries, cables, etc. Not true. The blower and basic electrical components, boost gauge, blow-off valve, and several other accessories are $1995. Because the ESC is new, we're running tons of promotions, too, so just about everyone qualifies for at least one of our partial sponsorships or discount programs, bringing the average price to about $1500. Your total investment shouldn't be more than $2500 for everything if you're a smart shopper.

And you'd get huge gains on a 1.8L automatic with the ESC.

As for the conventional kits, I'll forward my login info to Thomas "Geoff" Knight so he can answer your tech questions.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by boosthead:

As for the conventional kits, I'll forward my login info to Thomas "Geoff" Knight so he can answer your tech questions.
Very cool.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Custommx3:
Regarding techincal problems with your starter/supercharger....
How do you overcome the effects of our alternator only producing 90 amps in a v6 and 70 amps in a 4cl? I noticed the above stated a battery and an alternator. DO we have to get ours re-wound? Or, do you already have them?
Their site says you should fit a 200A Alternator. They don't offer it, its up to you to source it. Same with the batteries.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
boosthead

Post by boosthead »

Geoff Knight here. My son David asked me to answer some of your questions.
We offer an Eaton supercharger system for $3495 that fits all K-series engines except the KJ (millenia S) as the KJ is a COMPLETELY different engine, with the block having a provision for an extra oil pump, the crank having a tapered harmonic dampener on it and the cyl heads being spaced 5" farther apart to allow the IHI screw supercharger to fit between the cylinder heads.
For those on a budget we do sell the modified intake manifold, throttle body adapter, throttle cable adapter, idler pulley and tensioner setup, and the moiunting hardware for $1800 plus shipping. You need to use an M62 from a 92-95 3800 GM V6. If you send your extra intake manifold to me, I deduct the $50 I pay for the manifold. DONT send me a K8 manifold. I refuse to use them. The runners are a LOT smaller than even the KL03, much less the KLZE. If you have a ZE, I can use your manifold, but if you dont want to sacrifice your manifold then I use the KL03 intake. On a stock engine the ZE manifold wont be worth 5 hp, but on a fully built engine the ZE's extra 22cfm per runner will gain about 10-15 hp on a 450hp engine. You cant use a ZE manifold on KL03 heads, as there is NOT enough gasket sealing area and the SC will blow the gasket out. ZE intake on ZE, or KL intake on KL. KL intake on ZE also works.
boosthead

Post by boosthead »

I am not giving anyone one of my kits. I will guarantee you that ALL of them work, and will work as well or better than I claim. I also will guarantee anyone with any engine up to 3.0 that my ESC will make MORE hp, MORE tq, and give better accelleration than ANY OTHER supercharger or turbocharger--and there is no close second. I will also guarantee that my ESC can toast ANY engine--even fully built, as it can make 100psi if the voltage goes high enough. Many of you dont understand supercharging. You dont think much about a shop compressor making 150 psi, but when someone makes a claim of 20-30 psi you dont think it is possible. Well I have toasted several engines already by overboosting, and I assure you that the ESC if tuned right is safer than any turbo or belt driven SC. Like the turbos out there that toast engines every day, my ESC will blow up a huge number of engines because someone wont use common sense. Boost is determined by a combination of the pressure relief valve (now called a BOV by everyone) and how high the current and amperage goes. But we have the very first 13 second electric supercharged car (an 18 second stock Altima @ 8 psi), and we will be first in the 12's, 11's, 10's, and 9's within a year with our track only cars.
I personally dont care whether some of you like my electric SC idea. The ESC is the future of drag racing, and soon you will know it. I see someone posted about recharging after each run, but my Altima test car makes 12-15 runs on a battery charge (I use larger batteries for street testing)just like NOX, but I recharge them in an hour for a few pennies in electricity. I dont want to drive my car for 45 minutes to recharge the batteries.
As for the cost of my systems, if any of you has ever designed or built a complete turbo or SC kit, then you KNOW I am selling these for LESS than I should. But many of you think that if Greddy or Jackson Racing sells a kit for $2000-$2500 that fits a Honda, that all kits for all cars should be that price. How ridiculous. They sell them for less because them sell hundreds every week and produce several thousand of them. Production kits cost less than custom built kits. But for a kit to be produced, the castings and high volume require selling 1000-5000 kits to make a profit.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

sorry ment $2000.00 (the 2 is right next to the 3 on my keyboard)

the dynow sheets are up on the boosthead web site. check them out.

seems like a fair deal for 100 H.P.
looks nice, you will be different, just as good as nitrous, but no more bottle refills. sounds good for drag racers.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

OK, I can see the benefits in having the electric system on a car for drag racing since it's a periodic booster not a full time S/C. But what about the weight gains vs. the HP gain? Thats a LOAD of equipment added to the car for what percent power increase?
Thats a huge amount of weight gain that wont give the daily driver the seat of the pants response they like in those long drives on winding roads. Not when you can spend a similar amount for a turbo that will give constant output.

I do appreciate the design concept and am actualy pleased to see an electric system that "I" think will enhance performance. I've seen bilge fans, leaf blower motors, a couple fan kits out of electric model jets, and one company that was selling 28 volt aircraft vent fans. This is conceptualy sound. Very rare in the import scene these days.
But a momentary system with that kind of weight gain seems a bit much. A roots blower with a electric clutch in the pulley strikes me as a better instant-on system.
But thats MY opinion. (read the sig.)

I suppose my point is that people need to think about this ESC system as a power option. If you only run the track once in a great while, is it worth the money?
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
boosthead

Post by boosthead »

We are working on a system that will have 15-20 seconds of high boost coupled with a 20-30 second full recharge using a high amp alternator and a 2000 farad capacitor. That means a 20lb power cell and my ESC units can be trimmed to 30lb with composite parts.
How many of you would love to have 100 extra hp at the push of a button, and then if you use it 5 seconds, have it fully recharged in a 1.2:1 ratio. This will be the future, as a road racer is almost exactly 50-50 on throttle as off throttle.
We also have a fully programmable digital controller in the works that will allow a laptop program that uses the TPS sensor for activation (anything over 95% throttle), the Map sensor for determining boost, and the tach signal for when and at what rpm you have boost.
Just try to remember every electronic device and how long before it was outdated because a better one came along? The ESC has just been released, and the relays used to turn them off and on will be replaced by controllers. The 85 amp alternator in your car will be upgraded to a 550 amp unit, and the capacitor cells will replace batteries. All of these are already available, but extremely expensive at this time. Soon they wont be, and the ESC will be found on every type of car due to their incredible response, adjustable boost levels, lack of parasitic loss, and simplicity.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Sounds pretty good. Couple of points:

How does the torque load of the 550A Alternator compare with the standard alternator under normal running?

We don't have a MAP sensor - are you thinking of fitting one?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

you wont have to worry about the torque load beacause more than likely there will be a controler that will prevent recharging while under anything over 3/4 throttle, so you will only be recharging under deceleration or low throttle crusing.

The MAP sensor just connects with a vacume hose, no big deal, I would think it would be dedicated to the ECS controler only and not be intigrated with a cars stock system.
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.

curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Originally posted by Freq2002:
I suppose my point is that people need to think about this ESC system as a power option. If you only run the track once in a great while, is it worth the money?
If you only run the track once in a great while, why bother spending money on ANY power adder?
Yes, I AM a bastard

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”