BIG PROBLEM

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MI-Archangel

Re: BIG PROBLEM

Post by MI-Archangel »

its blue smoke my firend was wrong and how long u guys figger i got till engine goes and how much new rings cost is their any perofrmace stuff i can do while their changing rings
andy

Post by andy »

ok, blue it is. she will run for as long as you put oil into it. let it get to low and you risk spinning a bearing. Just think you will have a perpetual oil change going on. additional ring wear will be reduced thanks to the fresh oil you keep putting in.
I still say for the cost of a ring job you could just put a 2.5L in.
Andy P. 93 GS
andy

Post by andy »

sorry I forgot to add what I think it would cost if you brought it to a mechanic, $1-2K. do it yourself, $500-1k.
lefrense

Post by lefrense »

I have a similiar problem so I found out today....Got a Maxda MX 3 v.6..Today, my friend happened to be driving behind me...my car is blowing black smoke, mostly when I am gearing up from a stop, and you can smell gas driving behind me. I checked the oil and it was low..only changed about 5 weeks ago...have not seen any leaks on the ground...Suggestions from the the experts out there? I alway use high octane fuel since I have the car. Oh, also, when I idle my engine today, I heard kind of a clicking noise from under the hood area....Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

time for new engine unless you wanna rebuild heads in your stock engine, which isnt worth it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Originally posted by lefrense:
I have a similiar problem so I found out today....Got a Maxda MX 3 v.6..Today, my friend happened to be driving behind me...my car is blowing black smoke, mostly when I am gearing up from a stop, and you can smell gas driving behind me. I checked the oil and it was low..only changed about 5 weeks ago...have not seen any leaks on the ground...Suggestions from the the experts out there? I alway use high octane fuel since I have the car. Oh, also, when I idle my engine today, I heard kind of a clicking noise from under the hood area....Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
sounds like you might be running rich.. might test the oil for gas.. if too rich, can wash down cylinder walls and get gas in the oil

clicking could be a couple of things.. our engines have a tendency to have increased valve noise if the oil gets low. There's also something called a friction gear that can cause noise. If the oil is low, and the noise goes away when you bring it back to the full level, that's fairly normal..

it's real important to make sure the oil stays filled with our engines.. oil starvation will kill an engine fairly easily
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

you say you only use high octane fuel? unless you have a bunch of performance mods, you should switch to regular octane fuel, our engines were designed for regular.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”