What Octane does a 92' mx-3 GS call for?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mattster

Re: What Octane does a 92' mx-3 GS call for?

Post by mattster »

Ok if you are the type (like me)who can't decide whether to use 89 or 92 octane, consider the following:<P>1) From personal expirience, my car gets about 2-3 mpg more with 92 than with 89.<P>2) Where I am from the difference between 89 and 92 is always $.10/gallon. Today prices were: 89- $1.27 92- $1.37<P>3) If I got 21 mpg with 89, my dollar per mile would be (1.27/21) = $.060<BR> If I got 23 or 24 mpg with 92, my dollar per mile would be (1.37/23) = $.059<BR> (1.37/24) = $.057<P>As you can see, in the end buying 92 octane is just a tiny bit cheeper ($.003 or .001) than buying 89. Plus to add to it, my car runs maybe a little smoother with 92. Its a win-win situation! Remember these are numbers from personal expirience yours may be different. :)
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
ssmog

Post by ssmog »

Right now I am using 124 Octane. I normally only use it in my race car during the summer months but I figured what the hell. I changed the valves, etc. to Titanium to avoid burning them and I tell you it sure makes a hell of a difference. Just too bad it is close to 12.00 Canadian per gallon or 2.75 a litre, which ever system you go by.
Commit yourself to a Psychiatric hospital before the rest your sanity disappears, and you are strapped in a chair, fed mushy peas with a rubber spoon with only your tortured fantasies for comfort....

ssmog
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ssmog:<BR><STRONG>Right now I am using 124 Octane. I normally only use it in my race car during the summer months but I figured what the hell. I changed the valves, etc. to Titanium to avoid burning them and I tell you it sure makes a hell of a difference. Just too bad it is close to 12.00 Canadian per gallon or 2.75 a litre, which ever system you go by.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>LOL. I hope you like wasting your money! [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods
ssmog

Post by ssmog »

Rich, it is none of your concern as to what I do with my money, I don't see that there was any reason for your comment. With respect to that comment, I do have the money to waste and I do enjoy enjoy doing so. If I choose to waste it on frivelous things, that is my business, therefore I will not put up with crap from people like you.<BR>Good evening to you sir.<p>[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: ssmog ]
Commit yourself to a Psychiatric hospital before the rest your sanity disappears, and you are strapped in a chair, fed mushy peas with a rubber spoon with only your tortured fantasies for comfort....

ssmog
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I run 93 in mine almost all the time, and when i run less, it runs like crap. I noticed better gas mileage with the higher octane. I guess it might be because it burns at a higher temp, meaning it'd last longer? <P>I know my Eclipse loves 115-122 octane though :)
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”