What kind of intake?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
93mxrgs

Re: What kind of intake?

Post by 93mxrgs »

the only thing ur gainin that that fat k&n is sound, not hp, cause ur suckin in hot air, sorry bud, i'd put the original prm stuff on
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

When I started really getting into cars (3 years ago) and performance I took a week of school and drove down to LA for a big expo thing. <I>The International Auto Salon</I>. I was planning my huge report on intakes too. So I met with the K&N guys and talked a long time. I was just also in Pamona about 4 months ago and talked to them some more. I told him I was working on my own intake setup. <B>here is where my point comes in</B>I told them i was going to use this fixed fan-blade type thing that mounts to a filter. The only filter I could find with a 3" opening was just HUGE. I told them about that and they said that filter size wouldn't do anything extra for me. But they said if that is all that was made... They also said it would not hurt anything. But said anything that huge was pointless for the most part. So, to the guy who said they got a huge one and gained alot is missing some info.<P>I personally, have done ALOT of research on products and what makes them good and what it takes to make a car perform better. Alot of that stuff is common sence however.<P>I have talked with Gerry Sica(PRM) on the phone about his intakes. I've questioned his design many times. Things I've questioned is the non-ram design. He felt that would just allow too much crap to enter the intake. He says a scoop added to it would be a good idea for racing only. I have also questioned the size of the filter that is used. I'm not sure what he said about that, but he did quit a bit of testing on his intakes I guess.<P>To the guy who got a K&N, I'm assuming you took about the PRM air box and just attatched the tube to the air sensor then put a filter on the end? Yeah, that's ok. But gets dirty so fast. And definatly not practical for some one who lives in rainy Oregon like myself. :)<P>But I feel it's completley worthless and a waste of money to buy a "performance intake" like HKS or Weapon R or any other company that does not give a way for cooler air to be used. Buy yourself a K&N cone and slap it on and call it a day if you can't afford a real intake.<P>Also, cotton fitlers are the best filter made (K&N). Due to the cotton element they use. Better flowing than the paper element that is used stock and traps dirt and what not really well. Foam (weapon R, HKS, Mazdaspeed) is the best flowing filter element, but does not do a very good job of filtering like cotton or paper do.<P>So all around K&N I feel is the best filter element to use. That is what is used in PRM kits too by the way.<P>(anyone actully read this whole thing!? lol)
~SonicRacing~
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

Man I just try to give some advise and get nothing but flack! I tested them both, one right after the other, under the same driving conditions. When I stomp on the gas and that throttle opens up the K&N sucks in way more air than that dinky prm does. I don't know why you guys think it is so special, just because it's one of the few companys that actually makes performance parts for our cars, doesn't make it the best and only option. Besides if my MSD coil wasn't in the way, for the time being, I'd have my K&N rigged the same way most have the prm rigged(in the wheel well), then I'd have just as much if not more cooool air coming in. Besides the most U r gonna get out of a performance intake is 3-5 hp out of the MX-3, if you can get the same amount of hp for less, than why not?
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”