sound deadening

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

dynamat or brown bread. and you don't have to cover the entire area you can just add strips of deading about 3inchs x 7inches long and about 3-4 inches apart and you'll be good all you are really doing is adding mass to the car panels or floor to stop them from vibrating no for ultimate sound deading you can do what we do in dB drag and thats pour a 3 inch layer of concret on the floor of the car beacuse concret will not pass frequencys at all but you might as well right off driveablity compleatly
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

reaper of souls wrote:dynamat or brown bread. and you don't have to cover the entire area you can just add strips of deading about 3inchs x 7inches long and about 3-4 inches apart and you'll be good all you are really doing is adding mass to the car panels or floor to stop them from vibrating no for ultimate sound deading you can do what we do in dB drag and thats pour a 3 inch layer of concret on the floor of the car beacuse concret will not pass frequencys at all but you might as well right off driveablity compleatly
just a couple of comments....

-why pay 3 or 4 times as much for "professional" sound deadening, when you can buy roofing underlayment for a fraction of the price?

-also, the 3" x 7" etc. etc. things you mentioned would work, but just not as well as completely covering the panels... don't believe me? ask a "sound-off" competition champion... they sometimes use up to 6 or 7 layers of sound deadening matting :shock:
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
reaper of souls

MarkMoore wrote:
reaper of souls wrote:dynamat or brown bread. and you don't have to cover the entire area you can just add strips of deading about 3inchs x 7inches long and about 3-4 inches apart and you'll be good all you are really doing is adding mass to the car panels or floor to stop them from vibrating no for ultimate sound deading you can do what we do in dB drag and thats pour a 3 inch layer of concret on the floor of the car beacuse concret will not pass frequencys at all but you might as well right off driveablity compleatly
just a couple of comments....

-why pay 3 or 4 times as much for "professional" sound deadening, when you can buy roofing underlayment for a fraction of the price?

-also, the 3" x 7" etc. etc. things you mentioned would work, but just not as well as completely covering the panels... don't believe me? ask a "sound-off" competition champion... they sometimes use up to 6 or 7 layers of sound deadening matting :shock:
hey i'm not saying your wrong it just after a while the heat that is created in your car will start reacting with the tar and other chemicals in the underlay and can create some nice toxic fumes in the car and that's not something most people don't want to risk. and yes covering the whole panel will have an effect but unless your pushing a lot of bass it wont really make that much of a difference. hell if you really want to save money do like me go and get your vendors permit it'll cost you 70 bucks to get and only 10 bucks a year to renew and then you can buy everything at wholesale prices i can get a box of dynamat extreme for under 15 bucks
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

reaper of souls wrote: hey i'm not saying your wrong it just after a while the heat that is created in your car will start reacting with the tar and other chemicals in the underlay and can create some nice toxic fumes in the car and that's not something most people don't want to risk. and yes covering the whole panel will have an effect but unless your pushing a lot of bass it wont really make that much of a difference. hell if you really want to save money do like me go and get your vendors permit it'll cost you 70 bucks to get and only 10 bucks a year to renew and then you can buy everything at wholesale prices i can get a box of dynamat extreme for under 15 bucks
true, you really should let your car air out a lot! that's why warm months is the ideal time to do this because you need to have your windows rolled down so that the asphaltic fumes can dissipate out of your car.... i personally don't even use my AC anyway-slows my car down too much and wastes gas money.... i always exclusively roll my windows down in the summer.... unless i'm really really really really hot, then i resort to the AC
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic
reaper of souls

i feel the same ac robs the car of too much hp and gas
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

reaper of souls wrote:hell if you really want to save money do like me go and get your vendors permit it'll cost you 70 bucks to get and only 10 bucks a year to renew and then you can buy everything at wholesale prices i can get a box of dynamat extreme for under 15 bucks
If you can get it for under $15, why don't you pick me up some and I will pay you back? :D Seriously, if you can get me 100 sq feet for a good price, I will obviously pay for that cost and shipping, AND throw a little extra your way... If the price is right.
No more MX-3.
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

Yeah, I guess if I lived in NJ or NY I would be ok with riding around with just the windows down...But it gets way too hot here for me to do that. I will be running without the AC in the winter but not right now. I know a couple guys that have no AC here in Ga...Crazy B@$!@&#$
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”