maintenance and reliability of your mx-3?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
airjordon_09

Re: maintenance and reliability of your mx-3?

Post by airjordon_09 »

well i dont know about you guys in the states, but up here our mx's have fan belts and their $hit,
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

if you keep this car nice, the car will be nice to you too!!<BR>the silver one i had which i crashed in da accident, had 389000 KMs on, i swear i went 205 KM/H, didnt burn oil, was running sick. The only and i am saying the only thing wrong with it was the driver side CV joint!<BR>they are great cars, but GOD forbid the day it comes that you need to fix something, the black one i had, had 165000 KMs, broke power steering pump, water pump, alternator was toast, starter was changed, God knows how many times i changed the starter relays, but after all this its one car that has 13 lives, i had a fairly big hole in its radiator and the water would go out in less than 5 minutes. i ran that poor thing all the way from toronto to mississauga and back, about 30 or 35 times. All it did was make noises, everyday i did this, i was waiting for the engine to blow. unbelievable never happend and i am sure its still running somewhere in toronto, cuz i checked the VIN # and its still alive!!!!!! :D :D :D <BR>Thats why after that first black one, i bought 3 more and i love them all, ( even sometimes more than da lexus!)<BR>I would defintely advice you to buy it, you wont regret it. trust me! :D <P>latez
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I've had mine since 98, 2nd owner, and when your MX gets older, your going to spend some money on tipical things, (clutch, brakes, cv joints, tires, belts, etc). I use my MX for newspaper deliveries. What I know about my MX is that it tends not to brake down when I drive it constantly. When I don't, things happen. I've had to replace the water pump about 5 times, but all under warranty. All I can say is that Japanese cars are built to last, are cheaper to buy parts for, but are smaller cars. If you want to be original, buy this car.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by airjordon_09:<BR><STRONG>well i dont know about you guys in the states, but up here our mx's have fan belts and their $hit,</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Ummmmmm.. No it doesn't. Your fans are electric and your water pump runs off the timing belt.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mattster

Post by mattster »

well i don't know how reliable mine has been maybe this all needs to be done anyway. i bought mine w/60k miles. between 60 and 70k miles i have replaced the clutch, timing belt, cv boots, and now it appears the joints need replacing. oh well it is a nice car to have even though it gives me problems i still love it [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] .
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

ive had to get some new tires, replace headgasket, new starter, new alternator, and new transmission. right now she needs some new motor mounts and a turbo. haha.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

I am the original owner of a 92 MX-3, 1.6 engine with 182,000+ miles. With the exception of the normal wear items (brakes, tires, wiper blades etc.)I have never replaced a really big $$ item. A year or two back I did replace muffler and the first piece of exhaust "plumbing" downstream of the exhaust header, as well as the left CV. I'm still driving on the original clutch. So when you consider over 10 years of driving on so few replaced parts, the repair cost per mile is almost nil.
Stan W.
Gippo

Post by Gippo »

Only had mine for a few days, thought I would change the oil and filter. The filter reference manual doesn't list a 1.8 litre for 1992, according to that book Mazda never made a 6 cyl until 1994. Getting back to your question about maintenance cost, the person I bought it from has only spent 1,000 bucks in 4 years and that included regular maintenance. It has 234,000 kms on it.
A vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”