Originally posted by Darcy:

dingoboy
THAT HAD ME LAUGHING SO HARD :D :laugh:
What

Re: Holy Cow This Car Rocks

Post by What »

Originally posted by Darcy:
93s are SOHC.
Just going by some old post saying earlier production was sohc, later production had dohc. That and insurance lady said there were 2 4 cylinders in the car for that year (not one 4 and one 6), so I didn't dispute it. As it turns out, the 93 we picked up is SOHC, so not looking promising for the DOHC theory. :) Given that I can't leave cars alone, I'm sure it will inherit something less gutless in the future.

By the looks of where you fill up, it's almost hard to tell where you live as you seem to be out of town so much, but I'll go out on a limb and say I'm a fellow Calgarian. :)
What

Post by What »

ahhhhhhhhhhh, don't I seem redundant... I was checking for your location while in a reply... couldn't understand where that info was. Now I see it plain as day outside of reply.
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

Yeah, I do drive a bit of highway, but I try to keep only certain types of gas in the engine if possible. Cheap also helps :)

Whereabouts in town do you live? I'm right by Dash by 14th St NW there.
What

Post by What »

Well, I live way down South with my wifey, off of James McKevitt in some condos. However, what I lovingly refer to as 'my' garage with my tools/benches/frankenstein projects with cars that don't run still resides at my parents place close to where you are... up in Highwood, which is just a backroad away from 14th Street and northmount...

I notice they have regional sections on here, are there meets and such? That or perhaps one day when I'm in the north I'll drive around that area looking for Precidias and doorbells. :)

<small>[ August 26, 2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: What ]</small>
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

Yuppers... There's a MX-West group, which is, well... West coast and stuff, but there is a Calgary Division.
www.mx-west.com

There are several of us in Calgary, and we're always looking for more members. The Calgary division president lives way down in the south, but we meet throughout the city.

Drop either James or myself an email.
What

Post by What »

Sounds good, I'll have to get my act together soon and give you guys an email. I'm just back in SAIT full time, so I have to settle in.

So far put over 1000km on the car, but no good mileage readings quite yet.

Picked it up with 3/4 tank in the car, went 350km-ish from there.

Put in another tank, drove 130km around city/highway, then decided the performance on the highway was awful and made a few cahnges to the timing, drove to St. Paul, filled up at 475km on that tank and about 31 litres. This tank, haven't filled up yet, but should be about the same as the last.

Observations so far... not sure where stock timing is supposed to be (stickers under hood removed from old paint job I suppose), but it's been bumped by 6-10 degrees from where it was. Driving around on the highway and in gear is now acceptable and I can make it up average hills in 5th as you should be able to.

Other observations - you should be able to maintain reasonable gas mileage as long as you don't go over roughly 3/4 throttle. I hooked up the 5 wire wideband I use for tuning while driving around. The car will do a reasonably good job of keeping it 14.6-14.8:1 for anything under "about" 3/4 throttle.... after that it goes to power enrichment and goes too rich for a low power NA car (12:1-ish).

Actually the WOT enrichment seems a bit inconsistent. Almost like start out in 1st and bag it... the a/f was decent at 13:1.. start out mid gear and it was too rich. Not sure if that's the scenario or not, anybody know off hand? I noticed something like this on another MX3 I was tuning this summer. Sometimes too rich, sometimes just right for where we set it while driving on the street. Seems to have a couple of power enrichment maps hidden in there that it chooses between depending on some factor...
AllisMitchChalmers

Post by AllisMitchChalmers »

My 89 Nissan Sentra got 45 mpg going to the beach loaded to the brim. But right now my 95 mx-3 is only getting 16 for some reason.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

What i like the best is how i have messed with the timing and everything and still get 35 MPG in town. It has 144,XXX miles on the car and i get 35 for town and 40 for highway. I love these cars. I get my CAI this week along with some ground straps from Summit Racing so i wonder how my gas milage will be now...
What

Post by What »

Originally posted by Hennasee:
My 89 Nissan Sentra got 45 mpg going to the beach loaded to the brim. But right now my 95 mx-3 is only getting 16 for some reason.
on long drives? Have you checked to see if the o2 sensor is cycling? or if TPS and such is still functional and adjusted properly? Is it driving otherwise normal, or is it bogged down until WOT?

<small>[ August 29, 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: What ]</small>

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”