motor oil for summer season

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Inodoro Pereyra

Re: motor oil for summer season

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

solo_ryder wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote:
Ryan wrote:Some weird thing about the air sitting around the sensor... I don't know how it works, my mechanic explained it to me once, I suppose that doesn't make it fact.
I think I know what you mean, would it be that the air bubble encapsulates the sensor, and it can't get an accurate read of the temperature? Sounds weird, but plausible.
Very plausible considering that part of the coolant system is the highest point
Hmmm...in the middle of a trip, in an cooling system that hadn't been touched for months prior to it, an air bubble just happens to appear, and develop, just to disappear again on the way back? :confused2:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I don't know Inodoro, its only one possibility.

But just looking at the facts, there must be a reason that your car behaved so strangely. Its not like machines have minds of their own.. unless you're diagnosing electronics, them be full of black magic :lol:

It could have been a loose connection. I think we've all had those sensors literally crumble in half in our hands... anything, but I refuse to believe your car didn't heat itself.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Ryan wrote:...But just looking at the facts, there must be a reason that your car behaved so strangely. Its not like machines have minds of their own...
If you made any changes to the ECU, did you remember to add in "thisAlgorithbBecomingSkynetCost = 999999999"?
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Inodoro Pereyra

Well, the bad part is I will never know.
About a year later, I had to sell it to pay the rent. I really miss my baby... :crying:

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Flyer wrote:
Ryan wrote:...But just looking at the facts, there must be a reason that your car behaved so strangely. Its not like machines have minds of their own...
If you made any changes to the ECU, did you remember to add in "thisAlgorithbBecomingSkynetCost = 999999999"?
LOL.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

MrMazda92 wrote:nightshade,

Coming from the guy who rags on my posts without reading them, that's rather ironic. I can't wait until your bad attitude lands you upside down in a ditch, I simply hope you're driving a different car when it happens.

Also, Inodoro is out of your league in every way. I don't personally agree with every single thing he says, but I respect him. I also respect Ryan, wytbishop, and many others for their knowledge and experience. I don't always agree with them, and have sometimes been at odds with them completely. The thing is, they can argue like men, they can admit mistakes like men, and not one of them would be so petty as to say that somebody deserved to have their car keyed.

You, and most people on here, know very little about me. If you knew me, you wouldn't have made the comment you did about my car. Had you said that to my face, you'd be in the hospital right now. You don't know my values, and you never will. You probably don't know the value others see in certain possessions, because you likely had yours handed to you. I'll tell you this, my car is worth a great deal to me, and it isn't about money. You probably wouldn't understand, but I suggest you watch what you say to people.

I'll drop this s---, if you're willing to man up and do the same. We don't need to agree or like eachother to be civil; for my part, It's over.
Handed down? You think I'm spoiled or something? Where are you getting your ideas from? Take a good look at my MX-3, it's the product of blood, sweat, and tears and not a single penny came from anyone else's pocket. It's all me. You think you're so special with your so-called values? Try growing up in a country where there is no order, corrupt government, hard working people not being able to support themselves and their families because law isn't being upheld. And the only way to escape from that is to move away, leave everything behind, start all over again in a land where you have NOTHING. No friends, no other family, no language, your previous education is uncredited. Makes you mature pretty fast. No one can be in the same league as me. The only reason why you don't respect me is because you can't take an insult. But take a look at your posts and how you talk in them and you'll see why I said what I did. AND if you think you'd be so lucky as to put me in a hospital then you'd be ending up in a coffin, because if you question my character you better be ready to take your words to the grave with you. You said it yourself, we don't know each other so stop acting like you know ME.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Ryan wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:. I'm not sure why certain individuals on here with no knowledge on the topic, it seems, feel like it makes more sense to support one guy that ran 10W-40 as opposed to the masses that use 5W-30.

I could think of a few reasons...

#1 Oil technology has come very far since 1992.
#2 If you live in a hot climate, 10W is acceptable, as per the manual.
#3 40 is supposed to perform just as well as 30. The way I understand it, is the first number is the cold performance, and the last number is the hot performance. 0W100 should be just as effective as a straight 30 weight oil, at the temp that corresponds to whatever 30 means.

So.... if it works for him, great.
man, we think alike. Thats awesome.
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

wow this topic is HUUGE!!! I know there is a buncha bickering here but also a lot of opinion as well. This is what people need to see so they can make there own decisions.
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote: @ Ino: I see your ego is too big to ignore me like you claimed you would, heh.

:lol: :lol: It's not my ego that prompted me to reply to your nonsense. It's just my disdain for your kind. :lol: :lol:
good job buddy!!! lol.
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

RX8SE3P wrote:Yeah I'll back you with the 30 weight Nightshade, I've read BITOG a bit now too and it's info is solid as a rock.

0W30 5W30 or 10W30 is fine. Those are all the same once warmed up and full synthetic varieties will resist high temps just fine.

No point to the rest of this thread and arguments.
BTOG doesnt talk about how many polymers it takes to make oil change viscosity. Your not going to believe this unless I take you a motor oil manufacturing plant for sure or chemistry classes where you draw molecules for fun haha omg!!!! it sucks balls!! Allthough, along with the base additives, too many polymers make the oil more prone to sludging in a shorter period of time is one thing. Pretty basic information. You can get this info in a chemistry text. 0w-30, less lubricant than 5w-30, less lubricant than 10w-30 at higher rpms (5000+).
I'm not refering to startup. Just the high rpm range. At startup, anything that flows quicker is better. But what about the high rpm range right?? Thats why we drive mx-3's??? There fun to drive hard.
mikeetown
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Ryan wrote:bobistheoilguy is a massive site, and I trolled it excessively a few years ago...

But I did find in multiple sources that a wider spread (via polymers) is a bad thing, because the polymers are what break down and cause sludge, etc...

so, pick the smallest range you can, with the lowest rating you need. 5W30.
O man if you find that polymer thing again post it!! I'm sure I can find it once i get free time after exams.
mikeetown
Inodoro Pereyra

mikeetown wrote:
O man if you find that polymer thing again post it!! I'm sure I can find it once i get free time after exams.
Google "viscosity index improver" and you'll get a lot of info, including that of specific products for that use. :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Just to clear up whoever quoted me a few posts up, I'm not entirely sure that a 40 oil performs just as well as a 30 oil at whatever temp 30 means. I don't think thats right... its probably comparable, but not exactly right. We'd be assuming that viscosity vs heat is a linear relationship, which it probably isn't.

If that graph is right, it screws with my understanding a bit.... I wish they also had lines for the separate W ratings.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Handed down? You think I'm spoiled or something? Where are you getting your ideas from? Take a good look at my MX-3, it's the product of blood, sweat, and tears and not a single penny came from anyone else's pocket. It's all me. You think you're so special with your so-called values? Try growing up in a country where there is no order, corrupt government, hard working people not being able to support themselves and their families because law isn't being upheld. And the only way to escape from that is to move away, leave everything behind, start all over again in a land where you have NOTHING. No friends, no other family, no language, your previous education is uncredited. Makes you mature pretty fast. No one can be in the same league as me. The only reason why you don't respect me is because you can't take an insult. But take a look at your posts and how you talk in them and you'll see why I said what I did. AND if you think you'd be so lucky as to put me in a hospital then you'd be ending up in a coffin, because if you question my character you better be ready to take your words to the grave with you. You said it yourself, we don't know each other so stop acting like you know ME.
You sure do act like it kid. I don't need to look at it, nor do I want to.
You assume far too much, for someone who can't even read a few posts. You know me oh so well, yet you haven't even read a single post all the way through. I doubt you're psychic, so ignorant is the best guess that comes to mind. You think you know more than everybody else, despite the obvious logic behind their words. You don't know very much about government if you think America is all sunshine and rainbows. Sure, it's better than others by a long shot, but we have our share of corruption. Give it 10 years, then even the most ignorant children will see it for what it is becoming.

Kid, do you think I'd need LUCK to put you in the hospital? Short of you shooting me, good luck. Death threats on forums eh? Scary ;) Any chance you'd say any of this to my face? I highly doubt it, your balls are decades behind your mouth. I'm not questioning your character, or lack thereof, you answered any and all questions I might have with your ignorance and your oh so scary online death threats. The thing is, if I treat you like a sniveling pussy on here, I'll treat you like one in person. You'll swear and scream and piss and moan and threaten here, but run and hide and beg in person.

You think I don't respect you because you insulted me? Do us ALL a favor, read the first few pages of this thread.

I'll recap, so your "superior" yet utterly useless mind can catch up.
MrMazda92 wrote:Revived your own thread? :P

Just playing, updates are good!

I ran Mobile 1 full synthetic 10w30 for almost a year, and had no complaints at all! I recently swapped to 5w30 and have had a HUGE increase in noise level at startup, although it's fine after she warms up a bit. My preference would be the 10w30, I'll be swapping back to it in another 3k miles.
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:You guys are crazy for running anything other than 5W-30 or 0W-30. Even 5W-30 isn't perfect on cold-start but it's the best thing that's readily available. Whoever is running 40 is causing premature engine wear as well as it would take A LOT of CONSTANT high rpm driving for 40 to thin out enough to provide proper lubrication. I dunno where you guys are getting your theories from but it sounds like a lot of you need to read up on oil. I also doubt anyone of you is running oil pressure & temp gauges to back it up.

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:People has to understand engineers are not stupid, and they actually STUDIED, before starting to design engines.
The manuals for both the K8 and the KL specifically say (page 7-16) to use 10W30 for ANY TEMPERATURE over -25°C (about -10°F)
approx., or (there's an overlap), 5W30 for any temperature under 0°C (32°F) approx.
That means, if you live in HELL, you need to use 10W30, but keep some 5W30 at hand, just in case it freezes over.

What gives the oil its lubricating capacity is not its viscosity, but its film strength. Using a higher viscosity oil than recommended will achieve 2 things:

1. It will starve the top of the engine of oil during cold start ups, as the oil pump has a harder time pushing thicker oil.

2. It will slightly hurt your gas mileage, as the oil pump takes more power from the engine.

On a high mileage engine, it's a must to start using synthetic oil, not because it's thicker, but because it has higher film strength than conventional oil, and it's more consistent (because while with conventional oil you're limited to what the crude you're distilling can give you in terms of chemical makeup, synthetic oil is engineered to reach a given specification). On very high mileage engines, it may be advisable to use a good quality oil additive (Lucas is OK, but I prefer better stuff, like Z-Max, ProLong or Slick50), to give the oil a boost in lubricity and film strength.

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:First of all, I've yet to see an MX-3 manual that recommends 10W-40. It was also written over a decade ago and recommends SG quality oil, we are on SM now. It is ALSO written for average Joes, and yes 10W-30 will be fine but you should know better than that and know that 5W-30 will be even better. Second, it doesn't matter where you or I live. No climate in the WORLD is hot enough as a fully warmed up engine (that is designed to run with 30 weight at that temperature). And even if by some twist of fate it DOES get hotter guess what happens? You rad fan turns on the cools down the coolant which in turn cools down the engine to bring it back to proper temp. So you see how you're killing your engine by using 40?

And other guy. Sure 15W-40 probably worked for you because it sounds like your car was eating oil faster than fuel. No brainer. The proper thing to do would be to rebuild the engine as clearly something is up. That's why it seemed better with the 15W-40 but in fact the small moving parts of the engine were getting starved because the oil would never thin out enough to provide proper lubrication. Again, prove me wrong by hooking up an oil temp & pressure gauge. I GUARANTEE you that your oil pressure will be WAY TOO HIGH running 15W-40.

Oh and just to add on since it seems like the oil knowledge on here is next to nil:
0W-30
5W-30
10W-30
They're all the same viscosity at operating temperature so I'm not sure why you'd think 0W and 5W are too thin in warm temperatures.
Nobody said the manual recommends 10w40, as I've clearly outlined for you here.

MrMazda92 wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:First of all, I've yet to see an MX-3 manual that recommends 10W-40. It was also written over a decade ago and recommends SG quality oil, we are on SM now. It is ALSO written for average Joes, and yes 10W-30 will be fine but you should know better than that and know that 5W-30 will be even better. Second, it doesn't matter where you or I live. No climate in the WORLD is hot enough as a fully warmed up engine (that is designed to run with 30 weight at that temperature). And even if by some twist of fate it DOES get hotter guess what happens? You rad fan turns on the cools down the coolant which in turn cools down the engine to bring it back to proper temp. So you see how you're killing your engine by using 40?

And other guy. Sure 15W-40 probably worked for you because it sounds like your car was eating oil faster than fuel. No brainer. The proper thing to do would be to rebuild the engine as clearly something is up. That's why it seemed better with the 15W-40 but in fact the small moving parts of the engine were getting starved because the oil would never thin out enough to provide proper lubrication. Again, prove me wrong by hooking up an oil temp & pressure gauge. I GUARANTEE you that your oil pressure will be WAY TOO HIGH running 15W-40.

Oh and just to add on since it seems like the oil knowledge on here is next to nil:
0W-30
5W-30
10W-30
They're all the same viscosity at operating temperature so I'm not sure why you'd think 0W and 5W are too thin in warm temperatures.

1st Blue Selection,
He said 10w30, you probably read their 2 posts one after the other so that was a mixup.

2nd Blue Selection,
It wasn't specified later on in the thread, but earlier on we mentioned start-up temps. Which ties into climate, which was discussed...
Was I being a d--- here? No, and I think you're the only person on here who might be ignorant enough to assume so. I went out of my way to say it was likely just a mixup, as there had been several posts mentioning both. As usual, this points to the same conclusion as every other post I'm quoting. You didn't read, you assumed. Same conclusion as before, you're a know-it-all who doesn't know how to read.

Onward.

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:Since when did the discussion switch over to other cars? I thought we were talking about the MX-3 here. Good for you for having a few examples. You pretty much listed cars that are track-built or have rebuilt engines, both of which don't apply to our discussion. You still haven't shown me some numbers. Once you show me your oil pressure is within specs using 10W-40 or 15W-40 I'll shut up.
Wow, still a d---. Assuming as well as insulting, before anybody has thrown a single one back at you. :roll:

MrMazda92 wrote:I'm simply trying to point out what you're missing, which is that the oil worked for his application. I can't think of a single reason he should have to put extra sensors and gauges in his car. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, he'll learn from it and put in a new engine. Either way, it's nothing worth fighting online over.

Me, any insults here? None that I can tell, simply stating the obvious.
MrMazda92 wrote:On a side note; If you don't like me running 10w30 in my car, you're welcome to do my changes for me. ;)
Me again, I did say this sarcastically, as that is how I talk. Nothing insulting, especially if you understand sarcasm.

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote: I'm not missing anything. Don't try to make it look like something it's not. You see, it DIDN'T work for his application, unless your application is driving with an improperly operating engine and you use thicker oil to compensate. Two wrongs don't make a right. For MX-3s, the best oil is (X)W-30 with X being the smaller the better. Synthetic is better than dino. It's that simple.

Wow, someone's butthurt. See how defensive you got yet kid? Read the above posts, they're in order. I did leave a few out, which were not directed towards either of us. None of the posts I left out were written by either of us. You are already telling people what to do, without giving factual information to back it up. How dare anybody go so far as to not heed your demands, right?
MrMazda92 wrote: Removing ego from the question, it was a simple misunderstanding. You don't agree, that doesn't mean it's wrong. If you don't like it, don't reply. You don't need to patronize me to make up for whatever is lacking in your day, I haven't wronged you in any way. As for his oil; it worked just how he wanted it to, which is all anyone can reasonably ask for.

Me, still trying to keep the peace. Granted, I didn't wipe your nose and coddle you, I did far more than you deserved.

Hopefully this clears things up for those people that don't have the time to read pages and pages of crap, hoping to glean a little useful information.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

Ryan wrote:Just to clear up whoever quoted me a few posts up, I'm not entirely sure that a 40 oil performs just as well as a 30 oil at whatever temp 30 means. I don't think thats right... its probably comparable, but not exactly right. We'd be assuming that viscosity vs heat is a linear relationship, which it probably isn't.

If that graph is right, it screws with my understanding a bit.... I wish they also had lines for the separate W ratings.
I see. It would be nice to know the independant and dependant variables of this graph then maybe I can analyse it better??????

anyway. This post & forum will help a lot of people if they can read past the bickering haha.

In the meantime, there is snow outside and i've been drifting in it for 2 weeks with my 20$ all seasons i found brand new at a junk yard on Mazda aluminum 15" rims.
mikeetown

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”