ps2 problem?

Off-Topic Discussions
marshmallow15

ps2 problem?

Post by marshmallow15 »

i just bought a ps2 on ebay for $100 and it has a problem the seller mentioned.. that it has a hard time reading 'dvd-based' games.. but cd-based games and audio cds are fine. are MOST ps2 games dvd-based? how much would fixing this problem cost at a local shop?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike

Re: ps2 problem?

Post by Guest »

very common problem, it'll say "disc read error" right? well if you type that into yahoo and look at message boards talking about that problem the general consensous is that its a faulty lazer. I dont know for sure but i do know that problem is fully denide by sony yet is hard to over look. So anyways it should have problems playing any dvd's but sometimes reseting it will help.<p>PS i think a new lazer is around 100USD but that have changed since i researched the problem.<p>[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: sureshiit ]</p>
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I wouldn't buy it. Look for another PS2. If it is infact the laser, unless you are going to put it in, the labor is more than the parts price. I know when a CD players laser goes out, it's cheaper to replace, unless it's a $300+ deck.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Dephekt

Post by Dephekt »

I had the SAME problem, it wouldnt hardly play games or movies. THE LASER IS DIRTY. Yes, there have been faulty lazers, etc. etc. But 80% of the time this happens, its cause the lens is dirty, open it up CAREFULLY, and clean it. Mine was dirty as hell, but works like brand new now, doesnt even go to the browser or configuration screen, just goes straight to the game or movie. Im' pretty sure thats what the problem is. The PS2 fan has a problem with collecting and sucking in dust, which collects on the lens. If this indeed the problem, when you look at the lens, it'll be covered in dust. The PS2 model that has had the most defects is the one that was released first. Look on the back, the model number is 30001. That is the first set of hardware developed, about 70% of people have this model. That is the only known model to actually have problems internally with the actual hardware, I thought this was the case with mine, but I found out, as a lot of people have, that its mostly caused by just a dirty lens.
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

i sent ya an email with my suggestion,,, :D
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

thanks for the replies.. ill get on it asap as soon as it arrives.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike

Return to “Off-Topic”