I heard about a few x-tra hp, H2O bypass?

Off-Topic Discussions
stevwhit17

I heard about a few x-tra hp, H2O bypass?

Post by stevwhit17 »

Well, since our beloved PT is down, I will have to ask some other intelligent minds about my situation. I while back I drove a 01 Neon ACR (POS, I dont suggest it to anyone) and the salesperson was maybe 25 and was really heavy into the import scene. Well his friend was a big honda guy and he said he had a water bypass valve on his intake, or something like that. He said its supposed to gain like 4 or 5 hp or something (but you know honda guys, that NITTO sticker gains 14 hp) Well while checking out the PINK POWA (David Coleman) I noticed he had the same thing. Well, to get to the point, what the hell is it? How do I do it? Is it worth doing? Am I cool? Do giraffes really have a black tongue?
98 Neon R/T - Iceman/K&N, Clear corners, Painted calipers, ceramic brakes, PIAA lights. New head gasket :)
Coolzombi

Re: I heard about a few x-tra hp, H2O bypass?

Post by Coolzombi »

yeah...i want to know about this bypass modification..but the giraffes have multicolor cameleon tongue !<BR> :cool:
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

its called an air bypass valve it goes in the middle of your intake and it is there so that if when your driving and your air filter ever gets submerged in water,(i think its anything more than 16 inches with a cold air system) if it gets filled with water the bypass filter starts sucking air. its there so that you dont suck water into your engine if you go driving through rivers or something like that. it doesnt add any more hp or anything <A HREF="http://www.aempower.com/induction.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aempower.com/induction.htm</A> heres a pic
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caveman:<BR><STRONG>its called an air bypass valve it goes in the middle of your intake and it is there so that if when your driving and your air filter ever gets submerged in water,(i think its anything more than 16 inches with a cold air system) if it gets filled with water the bypass filter starts sucking air. its there so that you dont suck water into your engine if you go driving through rivers or something like that. it doesnt add any more hp or anything <A HREF="http://www.aempower.com/induction.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.aempower.com/induction.htm</A> heres a pic</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>That is not what he's talking about at all..<P>He's referring to the bypassing of the coolant lines in and out of the throttle body. I have experienced significant temperature drops in the Intake manifold [significantly more than Phenolic Spacers] from this mod. I figured out what size the lines were, found a little plastic elbow for 58 cents from Home Depot, and plumbed it in. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
white fish

Post by white fish »

cooler TB = more HP
stevwhit17

Post by stevwhit17 »

yeah, David knows what im talking about. Anybody know anything about the Throttle Body on a Neon? I want to do this to add a little more hp. can I get a little more detailed help on this one here? I kinda know whats going on, but i also dont want to screw anyhting important up in there ya know. Oh and the air thingamajob on the intake to keep it from flooding...Yeah thats already been done. No significant gains in power, just no stalls. Actually I had one, it was in a car wash with one of those underbody sprays, It just... well... stalled. It cranked right over after that but it didnt like all that water being sprayed up there. Anyhow, thatnks for any info, i may try this tomorrow, and maybe change my belts. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
98 Neon R/T - Iceman/K&N, Clear corners, Painted calipers, ceramic brakes, PIAA lights. New head gasket :)
Coolzombi

Post by Coolzombi »

Can you show us some pics David ??<BR> :cool:
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

ok sorry i misunderstod what he meant.....how do you bypass the coolant throtlebody or whatever......and can it be done on the 1.6 sohc..
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Coolzombi:<BR><STRONG>Can you show us some pics David ??<BR> :cool:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, I didnt take any pics, cause its pretty simple. Remove 2 hoses. Connect them with fiting. Close hood, drive away.
David Coleman
stevwhit17

Post by stevwhit17 »

so how much does it actually help?
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

well which hoses do you disconnect and reconnect?? doesnt help much when i have no clue as to which hoses you are refering to!!!!
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by caveman:<BR><STRONG>well which hoses do you disconnect and reconnect?? doesnt help much when i have no clue as to which hoses you are refering to!!!!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Read my first reply champ. <P> :p
David Coleman
Esper

Post by Esper »

you've never mentioned this mod before, dave! i'll have to check it out. also: where were you tonight? i stopped by at the garage and the pinkmobile wasn't there...didja fix it that fast, or were you at another garage? anyway, have a good break man, i'll see ya next year.
Dude.
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

david.. I presume this is related to a little thing that I have noticed.. when I first start driving of a morning.. and I don't let the car warm up as much as usual, it seems to be a little punchier, and definitely more responsive in the 1st --> 2nd gear engagement. Would this small mod fix this problem? or at least improve it? it would make perfect sense if it did.<P>One question however, why would the lines have been put there in the first place? What purpose do they serve? Oops, sorry, two questions..
- EUNOS 30X -
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eunosads:<BR><STRONG>david.. I presume this is related to a little thing that I have noticed.. when I first start driving of a morning.. and I don't let the car warm up as much as usual, it seems to be a little punchier, and definitely more responsive in the 1st --> 2nd gear engagement. Would this small mod fix this problem? or at least improve it? it would make perfect sense if it did.<P>One question however, why would the lines have been put there in the first place? What purpose do they serve? Oops, sorry, two questions..</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Adam: It definately reduces the effects of heat soak on the power of the motor.<P>Chad: We were on the 3rd floor so we don't piss off the newspaper guys. Car's been there since tuesday. Got it together ok and made it back home yesterday [230miles @ 4300RPM and not a problem]. I'll be tearing it apart again to fix some new problems we created, but it got me home, and that's what I was aiming for. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman

Return to “Off-Topic”