Whats better drilled or slotted rotors

Other - General Mazda Discussions
fictionaldaydream

Whats better drilled or slotted rotors

Post by fictionaldaydream »

Whats better and whats the difference. I been wondering, I am thinking about buying a better brake system. I know that we don't have a big brake system. So can someone help me out. Thanks
sikblue

Re: Whats better drilled or slotted rotors

Post by sikblue »

slotted
2 more weeks....
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

drilled
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Taken from <p>http://www.mercurycapri.com/technical/brakes/dvs.html<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>The drilled rotor so commonly seen on Porsche's is NOT really drilled at all. It is a CAST hole. Porsche did this to help minimize the effects a hole has in creating a stress riser in the surface of the brake rotor. A drilled hole goes directly through and interrupts the grain structure of the metal. Where as a cast hole has the grain structure formed around it in an uninterrupted flow. All holes in a brake rotor will eventually show signs of stress cracking. A drilled hole will crack much sooner than a cast one. Admittedly, a "drilled" rotor will cool better than a smooth rotor, and has slightly better "bite". However, the person who blindly goes ahead and drills his stock rotors is asking for trouble, especially in high heat or severe brake conditions. It's not unusual for these rotors to eventually crack completely across the surface, causing a dangerous situation. Therefore, it is not recommended to drill unless it is an under-stressed condition (i.e. a 2500lb Capri with 13" Cobra rotors) or, for a street car just for looks. The best compromise for serious track people who don't want to replace their rotors every season is to go with a "slotted" or gas vent rotor. These vents can be machined in various configurations. A ball shaped cutter is used to prevent any stress risers. The purpose of these vents is the same as the cast holes: to give gases, water, and other dirt a place to go under hard braking. This is the most durable track or race rotor. <hr></blockquote>
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

that's probably the best answer. It's a prefference thing I guess. My rotors are full of holes. How they got there (drilled or otherwise) I dunno.....but I love them especially in wet conditions....but mostly for looks I think.
maldo

Post by maldo »

If you are buying rotors for looks you are buying it for the wrong reasons. Drilled rotors are notorious for cracking, slotted rotors don't experience this type of failure.
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

fine and dandy.....but my rotors haven't cracked.....yet. I didn't buy them for looks...I'm saying they look cool. I bought them cuz they were $50 ea CDN and I needed rotors. And they just happen to look cool. Have you seen the slotted rotors that go all the way through? Whats that about?
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

I have both, slotted & drilled, for two years now with no problems. They a lot better in braking than the stock ones and they look good. :D <p>later,
deeImage
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

slotted or drilled replacement rotors will not increase braking whatsoever. They will help dissipate heat better when you race your car, but for everyday use you won't notice a difference in braking.<p>Technically your braking power should decrease since the holes and slots are reducing the area the brake pads contact, but I couldn't tell a difference with my brembo x-drilleds
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

DJPRO-----those look really good.
FMSMX3

Post by FMSMX3 »

what about dimpled rotors?
i think ebc makes slotted and dimpled rotors. the ones i am talking about can be found on tireracks site.

Return to “General Mazda”