prm intake

Other - General Mazda Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: prm intake

Post by Custommx3 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX-3.com:<BR><STRONG>Oh man! You guys are just nauseating. I think I'm gonna be sick!!!<P> ;)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, you can mod out your stock airbox as a barf box.
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

I have heard from many 4cyl owners that the PRM does nothing for them, (2.0 Probe owners included). On the other hand, I don't believe I've heard anybody say this when putting one on the 6cyl, (Probe GT's included). This leads me to believe the difference in intake sensors, MAF's vs VAF's, is somehow making a difference in the PRM's effectiveness. Not to down anybody, but a filter sucking hot air doesn't seem like it could possibly be better than one getting fresh. Also, since a VAF is fairly restrictive, where a MAF isn't, it seems like if the PRM were being too restrictive, then it would be worse on the engine equipped with the VAF's, (6cyl Mazda K-series, in this case). I dunno though, these are all just thoughts on my part, and I don't know enough technical information on how MAF's and VAF's work.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Or maybe a MAF is so less restrictive, that it "notices" the "restrictiveness" of the smaller PRM etc. The cool thing to do here would be talk intakes to a Probe GT owner who's done the VAF to MAF conversion. I might do this in the near future just to see what their verdict is etc. (not that I have the money or time to do it anytime soon, lol)

masonholmes@hotmail.com
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Sorry I never really answered the original question... I have had a PRM on each of the three GS's I've owned and have found it to be a great mod. (tis why I still have it on my third car :) ) You should see a performance gain of a little more "oomph" off the line and some more passing power due to it's ram-air like effect at higher speeds. I have also noted a mpg gain of between 3-4mph on highway hauls. Mind you, you could build your own "PRM" for much less than you can buy it, but I think it is a great mod, for v6 MX3's. (I didn't have the know-how/time/want to build my own at the time that I bought it, nearly 3 years ago) Some more info can be found on Vaughn's page, <BR> <A HREF="http://members.attcanada.ca/~dragon64/prm2.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://members.attcanada.ca/~dragon64/prm2.htm</A> <P>There's even a comment I wrote about it right after installation, around 3 years ago ;)<P>PS-note you don't have to modify the kit anymore due to it's already having been put into production.

masonholmes@hotmail.com
REKING

Post by REKING »

Barry, I'm sorry for our misunderstanding yesterday. Since I still do not know you, I must of read you wrong. If we run into each other at the show, I look forward to meeting you. At least this will give us something to laugh about.
92'MX-3 V6* SHE MY BLUE BABY.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

well if your there, chances are you'll see me there cause Im going! I am SO HYPED. Ive been trying to go for 4 years now and its finally happening. Im looking forward to seeing some new faces and putting them with names. I'll probably be the only mxer with no MX :)<p>[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

i will be getting a hot shot [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

I'm hyped too!! Hoping my MX will be in and out of the shop beforehand, otherwise I'll be getting awarded the ugliest MX trophy or somthin like that, lol. Shouldn't be too hard to spot a crip in a beat up SE ;)

masonholmes@hotmail.com
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

How it feels is entirely worthless. The butt dyno is notorious for lying. Track times or more preferably dyno results are key to determining a part's worth. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Didn;t you JUST type that earlier :)<P>Yea tracktimes can prove, but what if it was a good run? I know that my RS ran a hell of a lot better with my cone filter. The PRM is a nice intake, but it just seemed real restrictive. <P> I am not at all saying a stand alone cone is any better than the PRM. Im simply stating the fact that my car ran alot better with just a cone filter on it. It was more responsive, helped eliminate the rough idle, and I could tell the car was getting much more air. The PRM is a great intake for al who want one. I do like it, I have it on my GS. <P>Just a quick thought.. <BR>If the PRM is a cone filter encased with a directional tube that can pull air from where its pointed. Why not get a less restrictive OEM style filter, cut a hole in the bottom of the stock airbox and direct the air from somewhere else?
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG> Why not get a less restrictive OEM style filter, cut a hole in the bottom of the stock airbox and direct the air from somewhere else?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is what I'm going to try on the ZE, mainly to keep it plain under hood :)
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “General Mazda”