Knocking & Crunching in RT wheel well

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rukick

Knocking & Crunching in RT wheel well

Post by rukick »

I did a search for this problem but I didn't find anything. I have a knocking and crunching sound coming from my RT wheel well only when I am making a turn. I took a look and there is nothing immediately obvious. Any suggestions before I get in there and start taking stuff apart? My steering seem to be working fine other than the terrible sound it makes.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
LongJohn

Re: Knocking & Crunching in RT wheel well

Post by LongJohn »

Searching seems to be broken right now. Almost all searches in this forum come up blank (even a search for "BP" only gets 2 hits).

It sounds like the joint in your half axle is bad. Look at the rubber boot around the axle near the wheel. If it is torn, then the joint is certainly bad. You will then have to replace the half axle.

<small>[ December 01, 2004, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: John Long ]</small>
rukick

Post by rukick »

Thanks for the reply. That was my first thought too, but the axle boots seem to be intact. Could the axle be bad if the boot is not torn?

<small>[ December 01, 2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
rukick

Post by rukick »

Found this post: web page
Very helpful. I will start taking things apart tomorrow. I love messing with my car when I am increasing performance but hunting down problems make me want to... :throwup:

Maybe I should tell my wife that the sound is from a bad engine and the only thing that will fix it is to put in a BPT. All I need is $3000 and it will be as good as new.

<small>[ December 01, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Not to common for an axle to go bad without the boot being torn, but could be. My guess is wheel bearing...But the "engine sceme" sounds good to me! LOL
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”