BP swap Q?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
The_Great_Tonge

BP swap Q?

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

Does anyone know anybody that has swapped a bp into a 1994 1.6 dohc mx-3 RS and kept the RS tranny. what im saying is a BP motor with stock tranny and everything working fine...not sure if i remmeber anyone doing it.

<small>[ November 17, 2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: The_Great_Tonge ]</small>
Marlon

Re: BP swap Q?

Post by Marlon »

ya that will work
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

You'll have to run a 92-93 passenger side axle or if you feel like modifying the halfshaft that's stock on the 94's......it's up to you.
The_Great_Tonge

what about hooking up the ecu, would i need a bp ecu or could i use the b6 ecu. hey marlon maybe you could shoot me some info on when you did your bp swap and kept your stock rs tranny.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

You don't need the Bp ecu.
The_Great_Tonge

hmm so a 92-93 passenger side axle and an actually bp motor is all i need, intresting. if i do buy a bp motor i don't wanna get stuck with a ****ty knockin one. is there anyway to tell my looking at a motor that it wont have tappin hlas or is the only way to find out is to get it started?
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

The only way I know to test the HLAs is to run the engine or pull out the HLAs. It is easy to pull them from the SOHC, but from the DOHC you have to remove the cams. If you can depress the plungers with your fingers they are bad. I just rebuilt a BP (going into the car this week), and I had 10 HLAs known to be bad, so I bought 16 and replaced them all. It cost almost $300 to get a set of Sealed Power HLAs from www.rockauto.com.

The new HLAs cost me more than the whole engine :eek:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”