HELP!!! Clutch problem??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
The_Great_Tonge

HELP!!! Clutch problem??

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

Well im on my way home from the store and get caught in a traffic jam, everything is gravy. im thinking to myself " wow the car has been running nice and no problems.." they clear the wreck and i go to put my car into 1st gear and it wont go in!! I tried and tired and nothing. I had to tunr the car off and then put it into 1st thne start the car again to get it rolling, and thne had to fight it to put it inot any other gears. I don't think the clucth is dead because i had no crazy revs or anything, just can't get it into gear wihtout fihgitng it. There wasn't any weird noises or anything strange, it just dind't go. Any ideas what it might be?
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: HELP!!! Clutch problem??

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Worn out clutch master cylinder will prevent engaging gears. I've replaced a couple on different cars and the symptoms always came on fairly gradually over a couple of days though. Warning signs include the clutch only engaging when the pedal is pressed progessively closer to the floor and/or having the prob you describe after having the clutch depressed for awhile like you would do sitting in traffic... :shrug:
The_Great_Tonge

i recently replaced the clutch master cylnder though, when i replaced my clutch last year or so. i didn't have the clutch engaged while sitting in traffic, i had it in N. I pray thta isn't it because it was a pain to change last time and where I live now they won't let me work on my car on property...is there anyway i can test to see if its busted or do i need ot take it out to see?
The_Great_Tonge

i wnet outside and started pumpin the clutch pedal to see if i could build some pressure in there...and while do that i heard a "phslat", i go look under the car and i see a puddle of oil...im guessing a line ripped or somehting. im looking for a flashlight now so i can go see, but things just keep gettin worse..
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Also sounds like maybe a fitting coulda come loose. Could be worse, at least you're not stranded somewhere, you do know the cause - a clutch fluid leak and a hose/fitting to tighten or replace. It's a PIA but all in all... :shrug:
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

probly the flex hose

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”