low end boost?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Acamori

low end boost?

Post by Acamori »

ok, so for the time being, i'm ok with how my 4-cyl DOHC performs at higher rpm, but is there a good way to get better acceleration/torque at lower rpms (up to around 3500 is what i'm thinking)? top speed isn't my primary concern, just acceleration from a stop.
thanks
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: low end boost?

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

I have a 95 1.6 DOHC and wanted similar perf. gains for not a ton of $$.

* Install less restrictive air filter like a K&N into your stock airbox or go all the way with a CAI to replace both your stock air filter and the airbox-- improves throttle response across the board and opens up the torque power band especially from around 2700-5000 rpm. Do this mod and you'll realize how much that stock paper filter is starving your engine's air intake capacity.

* Install underdrive crank pulley. Nice improvement in throttle response at the low end. Got mine from UR.

* Install lightweight flywheel. Haven't done this yet myself but other 1.6 DOHC UBB members report excellent results for increased torque/responsiveness in lower gears. UR sells one and a few others are out there... (Fidenza and also Indigo if memory serves.)

* Don't know how many miles on your clutch but a new one can also make a world of difference if your current one has high miles and wear. Several are out there and many opinions exist on different brands. Some ppl swear by Exedy as best performing replacement for the least money but there are also others offered for more $$ by ACT,Centerforce, etc. Do a UBB search for more info on it if interested. Lots written on this.

* Have your TB overbored by 5mm for greater air intake charge capacity.

* Consider a port/polish job on your intake manifold and if ya wanna go all the way, port/polish the cyl. head too.

<small>[ October 21, 2004, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

thanks for the info. the first two i'll probably do before too long. i have an auto tranny so the clutch and flywheel probably won't work (unless i'm totally missing something somewhere) and i'll have to see about the overboring.

btw, does anyone know where i can get full specs for the stock crank pulleys or am i gonna have to pull them off to find out?
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

From the UR Website... http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/weights.html#S

Ultra S Crank Pulley
Part# 0208102

MX-3 OEM Weight= 3lbs, 12 oz

UR Weight= 0lbs, 14.20 oz

Oh, and I made an incorrect comment regarding the TB overbore. You'd pick up some decent hp but would lose a bit of low end torque for this mod.

<small>[ October 21, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

thanks for the info on the pulley. though i was looking for dimensional info on the pulley, i'm gonna make my own (and yes, i know it's a bad idea unless i can do it right so go away)
rukick

Post by rukick »

I was told that some of those mods listed will actually reduce low end power. TB overbored for example.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

the only thing posted that would help with low end is the flywheel and pulley, and you dont have a 5 speed so only the pulley
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Hey... Uh, about that pulley, is there anything like that (or even one of those) that will fit the SOHC 1.6? That would be very cool. :D

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”