couple of problems

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
FlyingMXer

couple of problems

Post by FlyingMXer »

Hey everybody. Like the topic says I need a little help. First off I have a 92 RS and the belt squeals like crazy everytime I use the vents(my AC doesnt work). Also, when it is squealing it seriously affects my engines power and acceleration. If I turn the fan off the squealing stops, car goes again. I have checked my belts, even used dressing on them. When I check under the hood it sounds like the squaling is coming from the alternator. Could this be the bearing or pulley on the alt, and if so how could I check?

Second, My friend said yesterday that he saw blue smoke coming out of my car. I just did an oil change on Saturday, and I know I am losing oil somewhere. I checked later on that day and didnt see any smoke, but Im thinking its leaky rings. Is there any way that I can check the rings without tearing the engine apart? I at first thought valve cover so I am going to clean my bay tommorow and check it later on. Thanks for any help.

Later,
D

<small>[ October 08, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: FlyingMXer ]</small>
Later, D
92 4-banger (totaled unfortunately. Current ride is 2001 Mustang GT)
Zetgohan

Re: couple of problems

Post by Zetgohan »

is your belt tight? check and see if your alternator isn't fastened.

if blue smoke is coming from the engine bay then i don't think its piston rings, probably a gasket, look for oil residue around the engine.
(if its a head gasket you may want a mechanic to do it)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

blue smoke out of the exhaust is what you thought, burning oil. some causes of this are rings, valve seals, head gasket. to check, do a compression check. if you have a low cylinder, add about a cap of oil into that cylinder and redo the compression check. if the readings go up, it's the rings. if it's mainly at start up after sitting for a little bit, chances are it's the valve seals.

if it was just smoke coming from the engine bay, then it's likely spilled oil buring off or possibly a gasket leaking.

<small>[ October 08, 2004, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: OsoSlo z28 ]</small>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
FlyingMXer

Post by FlyingMXer »

Thanks guys. I fixed the squealing problem, and replaced the valve cover gasket. I'm going to check it this weekend and if its still acting up I'll do a compresion test.

Later,
D
Later, D
92 4-banger (totaled unfortunately. Current ride is 2001 Mustang GT)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”