Oxygen sensor fried in bpt?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Franko
Supporting Member

Oxygen sensor fried in bpt?

Post by Franko »

I have a bpt in my mx.. and lately I have noticed that after I drive a little bit the mixture gauge wont go any further than say 11:00 on the gauge. Usually it bounces from rich to lean while I am driving but the past few days it will eventually stop bouncing and just stuck at that point.. It still goes all the way to lean like it is supposed to when you take your foot off the gas to slow down but it wont get past that point.. Also as I drive the check engine light comes on so I thought that that has to be what it is... The oxygen sensor is a heated one but I dont have the 2 wires for the heating element hooked up, just the signal wire. Could this be the problem or is the sensor just gone? If I do need to hook up the heater element what do I hook these wires up to?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
OsoSlo z28

Re: Oxygen sensor fried in bpt?

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

if it's been running rich, it's dead. I had to replace mine because of this. the heating element shouldn't cause a problem with it, as all it does is heat it up faster to get a quicker reading.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Franko
Supporting Member

Re: Oxygen sensor fried in bpt?

Post by Franko »

Yeah it does run rich.. It is probally due to the close to lean condition that the sensor is sending to the ecu and the ecu is trying to richen it up.. :p
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”