Pro LX MTX in 1.6L

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Josh
Supporting Member

Pro LX MTX in 1.6L

Post by Josh »

well got the damb thing in. swaped to the pro LX trans. its not a direct swap on the 1.6 like everyone says. you have to modify the half shaft to even get the bolts in. and if you have a 94-95 you have to modify your spedo gear cause its not cable driven and its too long to go all the way into the hole. so i made a plastic sleeve. works great. the only thing im not happy about is the half shaft and i plan on redoing it later, cause i only have two bolts in it as it is. all in all it feels real nice. halls ***.

also i upgraded to the 1.8 flywheel and clutch, grips way better and i went with the unorthodox racing 6-puck sprung hub. ten times better than the ACT 4-puck. its nice to have that sprung hub back. i would definatly recomend it to anyone. you cant even tell its a ceramic clutch disk. its real nice.
Limegreen mx-3

Re: Pro LX MTX in 1.6L

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

good job on getting that combo done doesn't the Pro LX tranny have a short gear ratio. i bet ur loving the acceration. Thumbs up on the tranny swap i was thinking of doing that swap my self since the tranny so cheap at the juck yard under 100$. had a friend of mine put a 1.6 dohc tranny on his 1.6 sohc block work out fine. laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

anyone know where i can get a lightweight flywheel for 1.6 dohc?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by mxprecidia:
anyone know where i can get a lightweight flywheel for 1.6 dohc?
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/mazda_mx3.html
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

I know someone who has one for sale in Québec, he used it 2 weeks only so I'm pretty sure he would like to sell it. But he don't want to pay for shipping to USA...
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Nicely done josh. So where are the pictures and the exact direction so we can add you to the FAQ??? :freak:

Nice Job. Hopefully this tranny doesn't go on you!
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

if you have a 94-95 you have to modify your spedo gear cause its not cable driven and its too long to go all the way into the hole. so i made a plastic sleeve. works great.
I'm not sure to understand this.

1 - You say there's a problem because your 95 MX-3 speedo is not cable driven. Your transmission is (?).

2 - It is also too long to go into the tranny.

But by doing a plastic sleeve you solve the 2nd problem, not the first one.

I'll have my car with the BP tranny swap and I'm not sure if the mechanic fixed this issue. I also have a 95 MX-3 and I got a 93 BP tranny.

Basically, simply doing plastic sleeve solved both problems?

Please help me understanding this.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

For the RS model 92-93 MX-3 there are mechanicanly driven speedometer cable. With a speedometer driven gear assembly for the analog instrument cluster.

The RS model 94-96 MX-3 are electronincaly driven speedometer with a speed senor assembly for the digital instrument cluster.

That is the slight drifference in the trannys in the transaxle housing other that driffrence there almost alike in the MX-3 trannys.

The BP tranny is mechanical drivern like the 92-93 RS MX-3 tranny.

From what was said seems like the speedo gear on eletroiraliy driven is longer in legth than that of the mechanical driven speedo gear.

Which is probly why a plastic sleeve was used to confosate the drifference in lengths.

problem 1 can'tbe solved due to the two different version of the speedometer. but seems like josh modded it a way to have a digital cluster with a tranny that was meant to be mech. driven.

hope that helps ur understanding (Frosted).

laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
JeffsCosworth

Post by JeffsCosworth »

as you know my 1.6 just blow (probably)... what is the model number of this tranny ??? can I reuse my ceramic clutch on this tranny ? and to be sure what mean modifying the half shaft, do you have some pictures ???
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Get a hold of corksport. They are doing this swap for me as we speak. They have custom built jackshafts. I also had a Mazdaspeed diff installed. Gonna LOVE IT. PS the clutches are different from the mx3 tranny to the protege tranny.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

but you can use any clutch and flywheel set up on either tranny. like 1.8 clutch and flywheel will work on the 1.6 you just cant interchange between them.

i would take pictures put i dont want everyone to see my half a$$ shoty work. when i do it properly i will post pics. im going to be making my own half shaft. and a better spacer on the the spedo gear. i just needed to get it up and running for now

Javier is totaly correct on what i did. there is about 1" difference between the Pro LX cable driven spedo, and the MX Electronicly driven spedo. but it works so i must have done something rite. and my half shaft hasent come loose. so i think im good.

the tranny seems to be holding up good. the sprung hub clutch helps alot. i just need to fill my motor mounts and im good to go.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

thanks for the complimant Josh but u did what everyone always wondered (interchangeable) but never did. Good work and post the useful info for future reference. :2thumbsup: laters

Drifter MX-3
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I would be carefull of what speedometer gears you guys put in the LX gearbox in which the car is from 94-95. I have compared the 94 gears to the Protege LX gears. I was hoping the 94 gear would work but they were both very different from each other. Never thought about using a spacer. Please elaborate on that a little bit.

I had recently bought 2 speedogears from the Mx-6 v-6 from the dealer. The v-6 gears have the same diameter, same length as the LX cable driven gears. The difference is that you can plug the v-6 gear into the harness so the speedometer will have a signal. The bad news is the price you pay when they both break off inside your gearbox. The Gears had been ripped off and sunk into the change rod, jamming my shifting abilites. On two occasions with two different gearboxs, and both won't shift into one gear or another. My advice is to stay away from gears from other model cars and run the cable driven speedos and dash cluster from a 92-93 Mx-3. Hopefully the electricall harness has the same plug in connections btwn the 92-93 and the 94+ models. I have'nt done the swap yet, so I'm hopefull the cluster will interchange.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Are you using the stock axles? We are having problems with the DS axle. Passenger side was a piece of cake....DS is an inch too long. Any help?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

cjthor- my axle went rite in no problem, i used the one off of the pro LX. so when are you going to email me the wiring for the AFC? just thought id ask. :)

and so far my half shaft is working just fine. soon ill be able to fix it properly.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”