Anyone want 65+ more hp for their 1.6 SOHC NA?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
What

Re: Anyone want 65+ more hp for their 1.6 SOHC NA?

Post by What »

It's easier to sell things with big numbers beside them (minus price of course). If your car doesn't make that much power, they will come back and tell you that it is something wrong with timing/fuel/ yadadadada.

You will need much much higher revs, extremely well put together port/valve combination, and inflated crank hp numbers from the crank instead of wheel that don't use scientific methods... that and a car that ran with leaky valves and questionably on all cylinders to begin with.

Whatever the case, it will make more horsepower then it did stock and it will be more unique. Hopefully you will be happy with the project when it comes back, even if it doesn't make a million horsepower. I know lots of guys who go through all the work of swaps or turbos and then don't do anything to it to make that 400hp anyway. If you're never planning for more, you might as well go that way. Besides that, I do like the sound of some souped up NA cars as well.

For me, I would still prefer to start with a base that has most potential then go from there. The trick is trying not to put money in two places though so the SOHC in there is probably going to stay pretty boring.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Originally posted by rukick:
I don’t know how these parts interact but I am just adding up all of the Horse Power claims for each mod. Conservatively, I might add. I don’t know why this is so hard to believe. The mods I have outlined would cost over $2500 bucks. For $2500 you ought to be able to see some big improvements in any engine.
..for $2500 and you can have a 210 HP BPT.. and its a stock engine.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

thought GUDE MADE things for the K series of engines
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
rukick

Post by rukick »

I did think about most of this stuff before I started. The problem is that I have limited experience and skills under the hood. I can basically take things apart and put them back together the way they were. Turbos are over my head. Even DOHC swaps require running new wires (VICS) and new wiring harnesses. I have no experience with that either. I just like to play with the engine in a way that I know I am not going to screw it up. This is something that I wanted to do without spending a bunch more money on labor. Unfortunatly there is not an Mx3 club in my area that I know about that I could ask for help. If I get anywhere close to 150hp I will be happy. I think that this engine has a lot of potential for gain. It just has a much lower starting point then other engines. Anyway it sounds like I am doing something that is a little different. Now I am really curious to see how it turns out.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

I did think about most of this stuff before I started. The problem is that I have limited experience and skills under the hood. I can basically take things apart and put them back together the way they were. Turbos are over my head. Even DOHC swaps require running new wires (VICS) and new wiring harnesses. I have no experience with that either. I just like to play with the engine in a way that I know I am not going to screw it up. This is something that I wanted to do without spending a bunch more money on labor. Unfortunatly there is not an Mx3 club in my area that I know about that I could ask for help. If I get anywhere close to 150hp I will be happy. I think that this engine has a lot of potential for gain. It just has a much lower starting point then other engines. Anyway it sounds like I am doing something that is a little different. Now I am really curious to see how it turns out.
Well start reading and start using the search function. BP swaps are fairly straightforward in the world of swaps. Its best to get a front end clip and swap over the wiring harness as well so you dont have to mess with running wires.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Rukick start your own MX-3 Community. After you get done with this start your own up. I have heard of a couple fixed up MX-3's in St. Louis. But THe SOHC is a nice engine. Just have fun with it. And just think after you are done with all this you can read up on Turbo's then buy the kit from racingmazda.com and prolly have 200 to the wheels with no sweat. Have fun with your car!

<small>[ September 08, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Clayton ]</small>
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

just do what u want to do with ur mx-3 ur car ur plan/idea. there people here talking out there A$$ regaurdless if they have a SOHC or not. there are few that have the balls to see what a SOHC engine can make in terms of power. its not the best engine,look at racingmazda Rick pushed 14.sec in the 1/4 with a SOHC turboed am sure he got slamed with doubt proof proof proof now its a bp motor 318hp 12.1 in the 1/4. i saw it ran the 12.1 but thats not the point. point is do want u got my support and who cares what other people thinks. laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i definatly see you in the 125hp range for sure, and its definatly possable to get another 25 more if its not there already. the other thing you can do eventually is get a custome intake manafold or a 4 throtel body setup, and put direct port NOS. so when you need it, NOS can add up to 3 times you motors power. and Just a Cam alone can add up to two to 3 times you stock motors HP with the rite cam and A/F ratio. dud just dont listen to thies guys. like some one already said there talking out of their A**
rukick

Post by rukick »

I do appreciate all the points of view. At least I am going in to this with more inforamtion. Is there anyone on this site from the St. Louis area who wants to start up a club? If so shoot me an email. putnamclan@msn.com

<small>[ September 08, 2004, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Hey i am not talking out of my a** Mr Miata Cams :p . That turbo kit for him after he put all this work into it would prolly put him into the high 13's. I would guess. But just look at because with the increased horsepower your tranny is going to become the weakpoint. My brothers friend went through 3 trannys before he sold his car after getting his engine ported and polished and his cam resurfaced. He was pushing out quit a bit of power and the tranny became the weak point. But You have my support as well. It sounds like You will be the big MX-3er there in St. Louie! Show off the power of your SOHC!

**Cyber High Five to ruKick, Josh, and Drifter**

This makes me want to say "Aqua Team Hunger Force... Assy-mble!"
rukick

Post by rukick »

Good point. Does anyone know how much hp the stock tranny can take on an mx3 RS? Is that the F series?
Turbo 94 Protege LX
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Good point. Does anyone know how much hp the stock tranny can take on an mx3 RS? Is that the F series?
That would be correct
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

its a f series as for HP i think it will hold up to -250+ HP but u start nailing it abusing it the tranny will give out. HP could be less but if rebuild right and some tranny upgrades should hold up. i got mines rebuild and a dualfriction center force clutch put on a year ago. before that i burned the clutch recondition the tranny twice before it finally gave up. laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

the stock MX RS tranny will hold around 220 but the its the touque that kills it. the differential is the real week point in the trans, iv found that out the hard way. 2 trannys in 2 months, the first one exploded and torqued the bell housing by a half inch. wheel hop will blow it faster than you can blink. the Protege LX trans is a G series trans and it can hold up to 250 to 280 from what im told. and its better all around, with taller gears and such. the only down side is that you have to swap out the axles and jack shaft and motor mounts. this is what im in the process of getting if the damb wrecker would get it out of the car.
rukick

Post by rukick »

Josh - I took a look at the pics you have up of your engine. I have to admit it is one of the prettiest things I have ever seen (next to my wife and two daughters of coarse). I hope mine will look as nice when I am done. I have updated my MX3 project plans on my website if anyone is interested. My MX3 project

Also do you know if the G series tranny will bolt up to the 1.6 SOHC, CLutch, and Flywhee if I replaced the other parts you mentioned above.
THanks for the info.
Turbo 94 Protege LX

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”