Anyone want 65+ more hp for their 1.6 SOHC NA?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rukick

Anyone want 65+ more hp for their 1.6 SOHC NA?

Post by rukick »

For those of you that do not want to mess with a swap or Nos or turbo, I found a way to get around 155 hp out of the SOHC 1.6.
*cold air intake and 2" cat back exhaust from cork sport. +8-12 hp
*The underdrive lightened crank shaft pulley from unorthodox racing that is made for the 1.8 SOHC protege DX will fit the 1.6 SOHC too. +8-10 hp
*Cork sport can modify the 1992-1993 Mx3 RS for another +5-10 hp. (a little pricey)
*Gude performance will port and polish the throttle, intake, and heads along with various other things including grinding the cams for $1400. (do not let them charge you $1600 but they will try.) ++ 40 hp!

If you are interested in extra power and not drag racing, 155 hp will move this car pretty good!
Turbo 94 Protege LX
rukick

Re: Anyone want 65+ more hp for their 1.6 SOHC NA?

Post by rukick »

What I meant to say was that Cork sport can modify the 1992-1993 Mx3 RS ECU for another 5-10 hp. (computer)
Turbo 94 Protege LX
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Hate to flame on ya mang, but all of those numbers sound as if they were pulled out of your *** .

If you would like to lay down some dyno proof and some more realistic information to support these claims please do so.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

by all means, Dyno it.
No way u have 155 in a car w/ 88 HP stock with those mods.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

id like to see dyno too, not dissing you but if its true, man that would be awesome
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

Don't forget that some mods interact with one another. For instance, if mod A gets you 10 HP, and mod B gets you 10 HP, using them both might not get you 20 HP. Your system runs into other limitations. Just like if you could take a drug that would up your lung capacity 20% you might not run 20% faster because your heart couldn't keep up with the 20% increased load.
rukick

Post by rukick »

I don’t know how these parts interact but I am just adding up all of the Horse Power claims for each mod. Conservatively, I might add. I don’t know why this is so hard to believe. The mods I have outlined would cost over $2500 bucks. For $2500 you ought to be able to see some big improvements in any engine.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
rukick

Post by rukick »

I am in the middle of doing this to my car so when it is done I will get it on the Dyno 4 ya.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by rukick:
I don’t know how these parts interact but I am just adding up all of the Horse Power claims for each mod. Conservatively, I might add. I don’t know why this is so hard to believe. The mods I have outlined would cost over $2500 bucks. For $2500 you ought to be able to see some big improvements in any engine.
I would say you are looking at 25-20 HP at the MOST.

When I dynoed my SOHC back in 2001, it only put down 66.7 HP to the wheels.

Mazda Rated it at 88 HP at the crank.

Sorry-- but you will not see an extra 65 HP (almost double) out of the SOHC unless you add NOS or a turbo or something. That motor was never designed for power & performance-- It was designed to be a gas sipper.

If you plan on doubling your HP, you need to get some forged rods, different pistons, better valves and valve springs as well.

For the $$ you are dumping into that Crappy SOHC, you could install a BP-T.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
rukick

Post by rukick »

atlantamx3 - I don't know how that could be right. Gude Performance swears they have dyno tested and got + 40 with just their mods alone. I am too far into this to stop now. I will be interested to see how it turns out.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

its totaly posable. but only if you throw in 3 angle valves, and if you dont put in high comp. pistons then at the least mill the head down like 20 to 30 thousands. you will have to run a little better gas but that alone will give you a substantial gain. and if you throw in a beefy cam then definatly you can see thoes gains. but why go threw the trouble of boring out your TB when you can swap the one from the protege 5mm rite there? unless your going bigger than 60mm. you can hit 150 in a sohc with the proper tuning, and mods or at least come close. but i definatly want to see the dyno when you get it done.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

One of my brothers friends did the same thing with his 1.6 b6 engine and was running 160 hp. So i could see how thats right. But ya you can get a TB from an Pro LX for like $20 from a junk yard which is 60 mm. Have fun and i hope everythign works out for you.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Honestly, best of luck-- I hope you reach your goals.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
rukick

Post by rukick »

Thanks for all the info. I do appreciate it.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i have to call shens
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”