Check engine light and stalling.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
heaven17

Check engine light and stalling.

Post by heaven17 »

I am having a weird issue with my 1992 MX3 Precidia 4cyl. Within the first 5 minutes of starting the car the engine light will come on (either turns on and off randomly or stays on) then within a few seconds the car will start to die. I can sometimes save it before it dies by giving it some gas but not all the time. The gas pedal seems to sputter gas or there is no reaction at all. After approx 2-5 minutes of driving the problem won't happen again (no check engine light at all). If I stop and restart the car it will go through the same problems until I drive for a while again (2-5 minutes). If it stalls it will start right away or take a few minutes of hammering before it goes. When it starts there is a strong smells of gas/exhaust.

The car had the exhaust replaced from front to back (not muffler) and I had the gas tank replaced. This started happening after this work was done. I also replaced the stereo from the original factory deck to a JVC. Don't know if that made a difference. I have since changed the spark plugs, air filter, increased idle speed (#10/ground method) with no improvement. Could it be the O2 sensor?

I brought the car to a shop where a diagnostic could be done ($100) but they said the problem couldn't be reproduced. I know there is a way of checking the engine codes myself but I am a little confused as to exactly how to do it.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS Awesome site, I wish I would have found this years ago.

<small>[ August 28, 2004, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: heaven17 ]</small>
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Check engine light and stalling.

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Hmmm... not absolutely sure but sounds like maybe your EGR valve is opening while the engine is cold and idling, when you shouldn't be getting any kind of EGR. EGR opens in synch with the throttle opening when engine is warmed up. You can check it when the engine is cold and see if the valve is opening at idle. If that's happening, replace the EGR valve.
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Get the code the engine is throwing and i will look it up for you.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

mine did this, its the coolant temp sensor between the runners on the intake on the timing belt side of the motor, the connector is green

what its doing is shorting out inside the case and causing the motor to go to full rich thats why you smell gas, there are two water temp sensors on this car, dont get the one for the gauge, get the one i told you to get

<small>[ August 29, 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: papa roached ]</small>
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

This happened to me when i put a 1st gen GSL-SE MAF on my car. But then again i could also smell gas in the sitting in the drivers seat.....

<small>[ August 29, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Clayton ]</small>
heaven17

Post by heaven17 »

Finally got a chance to do the engine code thing and I got 9 flashes. Looks like it's the coolant temp sensor, papa roached was right. I'll try to find one and put it in. I'll post the results.

Thanks again :D
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

This is crazy, I have the exact same issue. I did a thousand searches, unplugged a million things, and no relief! So far it seemed it was the EGR, but car still doesn't run properly when I disabled it. Coolant temp sensor, good one! My car's OBDII so I can't check the codes myself (too cheap and too much pride to have it done) but luckily my dad has an MX and I've been part swapping until I got it to work...nothing so far but there's a million parts left..hehe. Where exactly is the sensor? I see the green connector...is it attached to that? If anyone had a picture that would be amazing. Is the sensor easy to detach and replace? Expensive part? I've spent so much time playing around with the various EGR solenoids that I'm going crazy by now, so hearing a different solution sounds too good to pass up...

<small>[ September 02, 2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Tommy v2 ]</small>
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

Well I changed the water thermosensor...bad news, nothing changed! Grr. Back to swapping parts I guess. A few more EGR pieces to go and then I'm finally throwing in the towel and going to the dealer for diagnostics. Curse you, OBDII... Heaven17, let us know how your problem/solution worked out for you...

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
heaven17

Post by heaven17 »

Ok, I got the Coolant temp sensor today (Canadian Tire $33). I see one CTS just underneath the distributer (drivers side of engine) but it looks like only one wire coming from it and no green connector. Where exactly is the other one? Also, someone suggested using a bit of Lock-tite to make sure it stays there, should I use this?

Thanks.
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

It's the other sensor. On the passenger side of the engine. It's the only sensor with a green plug. It attaches to a metal plate that comes off (you don't have to, but it makes it easier). Coming into the thermosensor is 2 tiny coolant hoses, which have to be removed - observe which one goes where! Then, it's just replace with a new one and cross your fingers!

heaven17

Post by heaven17 »

Ya I see it now thanks. But I can't seem to get the connector off to get a socket in there. And it seems that I also have a coolant leak somewhere. What a pain!

Thanks.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

its on the passenger side, it is a pain to change the one on the drivers side is for the water temp gauge
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
xEvilWillx

Post by xEvilWillx »

I have a really similar problem on my 93 rs, and will be working on it tomorrow. It just started happening this week so I've been searching on here for answers. You guys rock, with your very quick responses. My problem seems to happen almost completely randomly though. Sometimes when it is cold it will be perfectly fine. But after it warms up, and I've been driving it through the day it will occur. I was thinking I got some bad gas, but after 3 bottles of drygas/FI cleaner, it's still there. I'm going to replace the fuel filter, air filter, and redo the plugs just to be on the safe side. Does anyone know where I can find the CTS here in the states? Is there a particular brand to look for or is it a universal part? Sorry if I seem so dumb, but I can't get my hands on the shop manual for my car. I've tried ordering it 3 times through Borders with no luck.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”