Clutch or Tranny Problem?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Darcy

Clutch or Tranny Problem?

Post by Darcy »

Ok, so I bought my '93 RS back in November with about 173k on it. It had been in pretty good condition engine-wise as far as I could tell by 'feeling' the car drive, shift, etc.

Since then, I have put about 17,000 km on it and it had been going pretty strong up until about 1-2000 km ago. I haven't been out to the track at all, but that's not to say it's maybe taken a *little* bit of abuse, either by letting it go off the line, or just popping the clutch by accident every now and then.

It seems to be a little bit rougher shifting and I am wondering if it's my clutch starting to slip or if there is something going on my transmission.

I feel like i'm just learning how to drive stick, as in, when I am letting the pedal out, no matter how smooth I pull my foot back, there is a point where it just lets go and I 'pop' the clutch. To the point where the car jumps a little. When I originally bought the car, I would have had to pull my foot out a lot faster to get this much bounce.

The car is still absolutely drivable, and I have driven other cars where it's about this bad, and most people wouldn't notice.

I'm just curious if this is something serious, or if it's a symptom of the your-car-is-getting-old syndrome. I'm pretty new to cars, so i'm not sure if i'm off base here or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rope04

Re: Clutch or Tranny Problem?

Post by Rope04 »

You said your kinda new at driving a standard....Well thats what I thought...You may not being giving it enough gas when u let off the clutch..
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups
Rope04

Post by Rope04 »

Srry I misread.....could be pressure plate, i had the same thing wrong with my Rs before I got rid of it, and i had somewhat clogged fuel lines
Ferrari Red w/silver Metallic 92' Mx-3 GsR: Blown 5 Built motors from my past project and am going to N/A for a while as I get use to Megasquirt for proper tuning then may boost....TT setups have too much lag and too low of a power output for the rpm range i sought....Single is better and may do that in future...New project is custom Alum Mani/ with 3-4" runners...NO ?'s about my previous setup I don't want anyone to waste as Much $$$$$$ as I did...listen to BabyBlue and the those guys and go with thier F/I setups
Darcy

Post by Darcy »

Nope, I'm definitely not new to driving stick =)

fuel lines... could be, but it definitely seems like a clutch or drive train issue. I would bet on the pressure plate though.

If I bought a new clutch kit (recommendations?) would that come with a pressure plate?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”