questions about engine rebuild

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
schwankesmx3

questions about engine rebuild

Post by schwankesmx3 »

ok im looking to rebuild my b6ze for no more than 500 my self i have all the tools and stuff to do this im asking on part-brands and where to get them.
i found a re-ring kit for the b6ze at jcwhitney for 151.99. but im not sure what else i need to buy . like for instance do i need to buy new rod bearings? i need help with all the parts i need to buy to do this my limit is 500-600 i have to save for college and i only have 2months to do this and then i start school.....so i really need some help here guys anything will be helpful
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
94' mx-3.....was all motor now awd bpt
91' 323....daily driver
78' cutless coupe...bad a-- mofo v8
95' eclipse gsx......awd turbo 11.4 eta
LongJohn

Re: questions about engine rebuild

Post by LongJohn »

I'm no pro (a rank amateur actually), but I'm doing a BP rebuild/swap for my 93 SOHC, so I've been rooting around the parts catalogs...

Why are you rebuilding? Are you blowing smoke, burning oil, low compression, or something else?

To change the rings, you need to pull the head off, so you need a new head gasket. While you have the head off, you should at least have it inspected and re-lap the valves. You probably should have the valve guides replaced and the seats reground.

If you are going to replace the rings, you really should consider new main bearings, and you really should have the cylinders honed, and...

The main thing to ask is why you are rebuilding at all? If the engine is not trashed, I would not take it apart just to change the rings. It's not worth it. If the engine is trashed, you need to replace a lot more than the rings.
schwankesmx3

Post by schwankesmx3 »

low compression and blows a ton of smoke when i start it up
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
91' 323....daily driver
schwankesmx3

Post by schwankesmx3 »

and forgot the head gasket is cracked and leaks oil out the side of the motor but it doesnt mix with the antifreze or vise-versa no overheating problems yet
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
91' 323....daily driver
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Excessive smoke on start up is usually a result of worn valve guides and/or valve stems. You should probably be looking into rebuilding the head and not hte rings. It can be as simple as a bad valve stem seal.

These are my thoughts not yours.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
schwankesmx3

Post by schwankesmx3 »

well i thought that if u rebuilt the top-end u had to redo the bottomend???????soo just re-seat and seal the valves.....and it also smokes very little when i rev it up high to intemadate them pos hondas lol and help is greatful here thanks
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
91' 323....daily driver

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”