SAFC II vs. GTX ECU

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

SAFC II vs. GTX ECU

Post by 187 »

my question is, I have a 94 DOHC RS. I am looking to do the bpt swap this winter. I have ran in to the following question. I am wondering the pros and cons of using the stock mx-3 ECU with the safc II, or using the GTX ECU along with the wiring harness. From waht I have read it is a bit of work to change the DOHC wiring harness over to the GTX harness. What all is involved in using the GTX ECU? I hear i have to cut a few wires and a few other things i am very confused about. Any help about using which ECU would be best, would be great.

Thanks
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: SAFC II vs. GTX ECU

Post by Josh »

from personal experience i would go with the GTX wiring harness and ECU. just cause the AFC only really works at idle and full throttel on the MX, not really an in between. so im in the process of switching everything over to the BPT ecu, should work alot better and from what im told is the AFC works better with the GTX.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

I think the Haltech is easier to wire then the GTX harness. :shrug:
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

I have done the gtx wiring in a bpt, It is HELL. Maybe if higher octane was available to the USA then it would work better. The main thing is that about 20 or so wires will need to be spliced and maybe you will have everything working. Also tuning the VAF can be, fun, hmm NO. If you love to tune the VAF, Timing, GAP, Idle, fuel pressure regulator then sure the gtx ecu is the way to go. I have no idea if AFC will be easier but i am about to try it on my dad's b6 now turbo with 94 ecu. Haltec probably is best if you have the $
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i'll also chime in that a stand alone is easier to intall, as well as being 10x better than the stock bpt setup.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

yah now im just debating between saving up for the Haltec, or the Tec 3. i just want to go distributor less. hopefully by the end of the year or next spring.
What

Post by What »

you can give throttle position a more linear range by installing some kind of aftermarket pressure sensor made to output a 0-5Volt to simulate the TPS signal for the SAFC.

The 'fooling the safc' type threads.

You'll need larger injectors and you'll basically to be too high and remove signal where need be. This is one of those MAFs that is pretty much maxed out voltage wise when the flapper door opens is it not? The one I had worked on before was anyway... of course, it was a true mixture of parts.
What

Post by What »

I should say check the fooling the safc type threads as it is unclear English. I did use pressure as mentioned in place of TPS and it seemed to work.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

I am using a safc II on the stock mx-3 harness and ecu. It works like a charm. I put the throttle body off the mx-3 on the bpt intake manifold. It seemed a little crazy at the time but I lost nothing from it. I am still making 160 hp at the wheels with 168 ft/lbs torque.
The big deciding factor here is that you have a 94 which makes the harness basically useless, From what I can see the plugs are different on the 94 and it has no external coil, It just looks like it is more complicated on the 94. I have a 93 and it all pluged right in. The swap was actually quite painless for me, no serious problems.
The haltech is good but the guy I was talking to said that he made the same numbers as me on the dyno with the haltech but he made 165 torque and I made 168, and I think that because of the haltech he blew his bpt. You also dont nessicarily need the gtx wiring harness I bet you that you could use the 92-93 mx3 harness with the gtx ecu because it just plugs right in on both the engine and ecu, it would be alot easier to come by. Phil costa has a 93 and his gtx ecu just plugged right in and his car runs like a charm.

I have the safc on my ecu but it is by no means perfect. If I were to do the swap again I would definately get the gtx ecu right off the bat. No tuning and the damn thing will just work right from the start.
I have actually ordered a gtx ecu and I cant wait to get it to see the difference.

-later :D
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

sounds like the guy that had the haltech didn't know what he was doing (or whoever put it in). if it was properly tuned it should have put out a good deal more than a s-afc setting or at the least, been a lot smoother. especially if you say it killed his motor, operator error, not the system.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”