header

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
m92_MX3

header

Post by m92_MX3 »

ok well i know i post alot and all but i have all these ideas and my car is sitter for awile so i dont have much to do but anyways, anyone know of a header for a 92 1.6 SOHC ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
mxk

Re: header

Post by mxk »

IMHO
If your planning on going turbo in the future dont waste your money. If you find a header or get one custom made, the gains you'll get on your 88bhp engine will be minor and probably insignificant. Look into a motor swap, suspension upgrade, or working on your current engine. $300 bucks for a header can probably be spent much wiser, like a set of struts or something... but thats just my .02 :shrug:

Oh and btw hotshot used to make a set for the sohc i think, but i dunno if you can still find them.
mxk

Post by mxk »

Yea btw, i dont mean to be an *** ... I just dont see an SOHC going very far N/A and by what racing mazda has done with their SOHC turbocharging seems the way to go.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

well its ok i just want to see what i can do with a SOCH with out turbo or NOS, and i am only 16 so i dont have alot of cash, but so far i have done exhaust cold air intake and some other little things mostly interior work but i will eventually get a turbo but i thought that if i got a header and then a turbo i could sell the header to someone in my same boat, thanks for your thoughts
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

http://marcor-genie.com/geniepricing.htm

"MX3 1.6 SOHC Mild Steel 545008 $384.67 "
If your 16 and dont have a lot of cash, I think $384.67 for maybe 10 (max) hp is out of your budget. I know when I was 16, if I had 400 bucks to spend it wouldn't be on that. Save up a little more and get your self a nice radio or somthing worth the money.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

i do have a job, i work with a painting co and i make a little more the 500 a week so i guess its not that bad lol but only 10 HP huh, but it would make it sound alot better well thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

hahah 10hp is wishful thinking, the stock manifold is pretty well designed anyway.

<small>[ August 08, 2004, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: I_love_my_MX-3 ]</small>
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

10-50hp depending on exhaust setup for V8's, if you got nice headers and exhaust system that is
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

the sohc stock manafold is designed very well from what i understand. but cork sport sells a mild steal header for the sohc 323 for 242.00, and it should bolt on. they also sell 3 different street cams for the sohc 323 for 250. thies things should fit, the only thing im not 100% on is the cam, it might be gear driven instead of belt, i dont rember off the top of my head. but with cam, header, intake, exaust, some fuel tunning maybe a super AFC, and you could see some decent power out of your car, like 20 to 30hp give or take some. but the car would definatly feel alot different. and it would only cost around 1K which isnt bad for that kind of gain. then if you want some more throw a NOS wet kit on and youd probably see mid to high 15's in the 1/4 depending on the way you drive. also another cheep thing you can do is go to a wrecking yard and get the throttel body for a pro LX its 60mm vs 55mm, a cheep gain.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i have heard the header will not work cause its meant for the 8 valve motor and not the 16 valve because the manifold bolt patterns are different and the cam for the 323 wont work because its for the 8V motor not our 16V
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

well thanks, i have money when i need it and i dont want to buy another car because i have come to far with my 1.6 SOHC now, i want to see what can be done with it i know it wont be anything special.
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

Originally posted by papa roached:
i have heard the header will not work cause its meant for the 8 valve motor and not the 16 valve because the manifold bolt patterns are different and the cam for the 323 wont work because its for the 8V motor not our 16V
Just in case you meant SOHC vs. DOHC... both of them are 16 valves. I don't know of any 8-valve engines in any MX-3.
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

Originally posted by John Long:
Just in case you meant SOHC vs. DOHC... both of them are 16 valves. I don't know of any 8-valve engines in any MX-3.
I think he meant the old 323 with the 8 valve engine.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Find a 1991 protege LX with the 1.8 DOHC. And just swap the motor and Computer in. I just missed buying one for $300 bucks (canadian). Then just spend a weekend doing the swap. Probably the easiest swap from what I've heard.

but I will find a protege engine........BP hear i come!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

Originally posted by Alex V.:
Originally posted by John Long:
I think he meant the old 323 with the 8 valve engine.
i did because someone suggested those parts from teh 323
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”