another MAF thing

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
m92_MX3

another MAF thing

Post by m92_MX3 »

ok mine died, and it cost $569 to get one from a dealer, andi know you can take one off an 87 88 rx-7 non turbo but the only ones i can find are turbo, i need to know it anyone has one stock even, or if anyone knows someone who does, or can tell me if there is anyother car with one that would work out there PLEASE car dont work without one thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Typhoonk

Re: another MAF thing

Post by Typhoonk »

92 V6 or the 4cycl?

but anyway just check out the following link

http://www.car-parts.com

use it and locate a wreckers near you!!! how exciting!!!!!!

good luck :2thumbsup:
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

its the 1.6L sohc
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

thanks that kicks ***
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

are you guys really sure that the rx-7 turbo meter doesn't fit? I work an auto parts store, and even though they have different part numbers, it IS the same flap style meter. Maybe our sistem is wrong (happens a lot), or maybe the plugs are different? I would check them out side by side, but they're both special order. Thanks
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

they could be calibrated different
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

I just emailed some guy selling one on ebay to see if he could send me the specs on it. I personally thing I COULD work if you change the spring rate on the inside of the meter. Chances are you will have to do that either way with the non turbo version anyways ( i kno i hade to make the spring softer so it wouldn't run lean at idle).
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

I was under the impression that the rx-7 used a MAF, not a VAF?? :confused2:
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

Originally posted by MX3-Freak:
I was under the impression that the rx-7 used a MAF, not a VAF?? :confused2:
The second generation RX-7 (Turbo and Non-Turbo) uses a VAF similar to the one on the 92 and 93 Mx-3 and Miatas.

If you want, look for yourself
2nd Gen Rx-7 (Turbo) Air flow meter
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

that is a MAF, whats used on the later 4 cyls and the V6s is a VAF
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

Originally posted by papa roached:
differences between MAF and VAF

I think if everyone would look through this link, there would be a LOT less confussion about this topic.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Ok, (I knew the difference between m/vaf, I just wasnt sure which the RX-7 had...).
Originally posted by papa roached:
Now this I'm sure is partially wrong. The all the GS do use a VAF, agreed. However, the B6-ZE (DOHC 94+) used a MAF. It was the B6-DE (92-93 SOHC) that used the vaf.

MY next question is this... If the Rx-7 used a VAF, wouldnt it have to be much larger to yeild benefits to the B6-ZE MAF? Just by using a trap door instead of a heated wire, the air should become greatly resticted. Just a guess, and it could be wrong (so please tell me if I am).
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

I believe the
92-93 sohc 4cyl used trapdoor style MAF's
94+ dohc 4cyl used hotwire style MAF's
92+ V6 used VAF's

The 2nd gen Rx-7 MAF's look exactly like the sohc 4cyl mx's MAF (both trapdoor style) it is just bigger. I have an rx maf I just havent gotten around to installing it yet.
:)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

the 92-93 used an MAF.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

For the love of God... not this debate again...

:roll:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”