Signs of fuel pump dying?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jumboplay

Signs of fuel pump dying?

Post by jumboplay »

I'm not sure about this so I'm asking - maybe one of you have experience with this.

When I first drive my car in the morning, regardless of temperature, when I'm in first great and I hit the gas, almost nothing happens. The car just chugs for a bit, then it explodes all of a sudden and I'm spinning wheels. Then, in any gear when I hit 4K RPM, it jerks again, like I has some imaginary turbo (I dont.) It's really obvious (when I was teaching a girl how to drive stick -haha- she thought the car was actually broken because she couldnt get it to go smoothly no matter how hard she tried) and this problem just started a few months ago.

I checked all the obvious things, and all I can come up with is a clogged fuel filter (possible, although I changed it last year) or my fuel pump isn't performing normally. When the car warms up it seems normal enough, but never like it was months ago. The car only has 149000 kms on it...so I dunno. Any input would be appreciated...

thanks guys.

-Tom
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
n_o_s_21

Re: Signs of fuel pump dying?

Post by n_o_s_21 »

try the tps(throttle position sensor), or timing belt could be worn causing you to not fire proper(highly unlikely though. they usually break first). your fuel pump could be going but if you changed your filter, it should b good. put a diagnosic on it, should find the problem. could be something as simple as a vaccuum like broken or cracked. good luck, hope I helped you a bit.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”