Which Mods?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Johnomx3

Which Mods?

Post by Johnomx3 »

Hay everyone, im new to engines, i know a little but was wondering what some simple (not too expensive performance mods might be to do to my SOHC 1.6 l mx3... just wanna get a little more pep out of her, what do you guys suggest? any certain parts, like which air intakes and performance chips, or ever other things i dont know about. lol, anyways if you want email me or add my on msn johno_brownrigg@hotmail.com or reply please. wanna get somethings done, even little things cuz every little bit will help. Thanks .
Dual '92 RS's, Both white, one RS spoiler on standard daily driver and a automatic parts car.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588315
Joey's mx

Re: Which Mods?

Post by Joey's mx »

You could get an intake!! Id have to say K&N would be my first choice!!....Exhaust 2"-21/4" with a ractive stainless muffler(ractive increases torque with there design)..Also advance the timming would help out enough and its free!!!
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

I also read a post on yahoo by Vaughn N saying he put a adjustable cam sprocket on his 1.6 SOHC an it made a big differance.

Eugene L
1.6DOHC
N.S.canada
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

i used to have a SOHC; i feel your pain. But i do know some things that will help you out. as far as exhaust goes: i had a 2.25" high flow cat w/ 2" piping and a strait through muffler. helped a good deal. i upgraded to 2.25" piping and lost ALL the down low power and couldnt tell anything top end. the intakes they make for our cars (ebay :2thumbsup: ) along with a 87-88 non turbo RX-7 MAF (its a good deal bigger) should help. i got the feeling that if i revved it past 5.5k it was going to blow up: it sounded like it was struggling and didn't have anything left. I put on a UR crank pulley and it pulled(as strong as the SOHC can) till 6.3k. Porting your TB and I/M (and head if your inclined) will help. Ignition and wires are always a plus (I love my jacobs ice pak and nology wires). Lastly Gude offers a custom grind for the SOHC with claims of 12 hp to the wheels. with you sending them your cam its only like 250. and a 50 shot couldn't hurt...
sadly i never got around to trying the last two.
hope this helps
PS get a clutch!! i have a 4-puck unsprung hub ACT clutch and could bark 3rd with the SOHC. driving the way i did though, that tranny didn't last...
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

maybe a lightened flywheel if your changing the clutch too
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Johnomx3

Post by Johnomx3 »

Thanks guys.. definatly looking into a cold air intake, was thinking about the clutch and flywheel aswell.
Dual '92 RS's, Both white, one RS spoiler on standard daily driver and a automatic parts car.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/588315
93-Spec-Edn

Post by 93-Spec-Edn »

Hi

When I had my SOHC mx-3, i had a dynomax turbo muffler with no resonator and 2" piping. I liked the gain I felt over stock but it was louder of course.
92 mx-3 RS RIP | 95 mx-3 GS sold | 93 mx-3 GS SE sold | 95 mx-3 GS present

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”