NOT the normal idle issue...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shady469
Supporting Member

NOT the normal idle issue...

Post by Shady469 »

i don't get it... when its cool out side the car idles fine but alittle high(around 1,300 rpm). but if i start the car and its a really hot day, it just refuses to idle. i have to keep it around 2k for a while (couple minutes) or drive on the highway(no stopping) for it to act right. it also doesnt like to idle if i start it up and the engine is still warm.
i'm going to try and mess with the IACV and see if that helps.
ps. when you start your car and its (the engine) is cold where is it supposed to idle?

<small>[ May 13, 2004, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Shady469 ]</small>
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
hondah8er13

Re: NOT the normal idle issue...

Post by hondah8er13 »

ok the mazda spec on the idle is 750 thats for manual and automatic. thats where i have mine set. what you are talking about kinda sounds like the coolant sensor might have a problem, I think that is what it's called i can't find my chiltons.... also might not be... just a thought
Zoom-Zoom
guyaverage

Re: NOT the normal idle issue...

Post by guyaverage »

Coolant sensor is a reasonable place to start.

Also clean the IAC valve. It might just be bad mechancially also.

Pull your spark plugs to see if any have significantly more deposits than the others, which could pinpoint a leaky injector(s).

Other things to check would be the airflow meter, the main air hose (for cracks), fuel pressure, and vacuum leaks. The symptoms you gave could be a variety of things or a combination of several.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”