Protege Tranny on the B6 Motor

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
acid_mx3

Protege Tranny on the B6 Motor

Post by acid_mx3 »

ok so from everything I've read a Protege Tranny should bolt up to a Stock B6 or the stock DOHC motor with swapping the Axels and the Jack shaft... I have all these parts the Tranny bolts up but the freakin Jackshaft is like a half inch too long... and the stock Jack shaft is like 2 inches longer than that one? am I not getting the Jack shaft all the way into the Tranny here? whats the deal here?

any help would be MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated
Marlon

Re: Protege Tranny on the B6 Motor

Post by Marlon »

let me get this clear your gonna use the protege lx tranny, axels and jack shaft on the b6

i think the jack shaft from the b6 is different from the protege
try using the stock b6 axels and jack shaft

i don;'t even think the protege hanger bearing would bolt up to the b6(i didn't on my sohc)
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I am doing the same thing on my MX. I do know the jackshaft will be different from what you currently have and the center support bearing will bolt up. I will keep you posted if I find the correct jackshaft. Or if you find one let me know!! P.S. My car is DOHC
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

I'm helping him put this on to the motor. The tranny is a custom built tranny with a set of custom axles, jack shaft, etc... that he bought off of somebody on this board that said they were using it on their b6. The tranny bolts perfectly to the motor, but like he said the jackshaft just won't go. It is a much shorter jackshaft than the one with the stock tranny, I'm not sure if the protege tranny naturally comes with a shorter one or if this one is custom built..... When you look at where the jackshaft goes into the tranny, there seems to be about an 1/8" gap, but where it bolts up it's about a 1/2" too long. If you try to tap the jackshaft in, it moves in a bit then pops right back out to leave that 1/8" gap....
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

when jwmotorsports did the lx tranny on his b6t his advice was to get the tranny, tranny mount and bracket, and axles from the donor car. i know he had to rig his stock bracket to work b/c they didnt send him one.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/354836/3
(from the pics though looks like you need the pass. mount too?)
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
acid_mx3

Post by acid_mx3 »

Yeah I bought this Drive train off of Bossted MX who from My Understanding was running this on the stock B6 I've Pm'd him askin him if he had a similar issue and how he might have bolted it up.... I haven't heard anything back and I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

Dave, I'm seeing where this is going. The link that was just posted, shows pics of a guy modifying the intermediate shaft bracket to get it to bolt up to the 1.6's location.....
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
acid_mx3

Post by acid_mx3 »

yeah it actually seems to be slightly different from that but after much (and I mean much) trying and several Broken bolts it isn't going to work on the B6.. I'll just have to wait till the BP shows up to use this Tranny :( thanks for tryin to help anyway guys
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

you have to cutomize ALL the brackets if you want it to work, other wise the drive line will be off center. I also had to have a custom axle made for the driverside. The middle axle bar for the driver side was replace w/ one out of the like 94-96 or so middle bar which is about 1.25" or so longer. It got ride of about 85% of torque steer and It stoped ripping axles in half. To get the passenger side axle to work you have to do a LOT of machining and drilling. First you need to insert the axle into the tranny. When you trust the axle in, you will hear it "snap" into place. Their will be a little play but you shouldn't be alble to just pull it out. Once the axle is in you need to hold the jack shaft bracket up to the block and note where the holes need to be moved on the jack shaft to get them to line up. I had to grind of the entire finger loop and then some so I could drill a new hole on the bottom right right were the finger loop used to be. It takes a LOT of grinding! Then for the top hole I had to make a notch for the bolt because thier isn't enough material left to form a solid hole. For the bottom hole all the way on the left the only thing you can do is put a BIG washer on the bolt and use it to "clamp" down the side of the bracket. The jack shaft mount just helps support the shaft it doesn't see nowhere near the loading force the hub does! Check out my pages on Car Domain (follow my link on my sig.) I've got pics of the Jack Shaft AFTER I machined it. The only mout that doesn't really need mods it the top tranny mount, however you have to use the protege top tranny mount and bolt it into the MX-3 motor mount under the battery. It is a tight fit and you'll have to really crank down on it, but it preloads all the mounts so their is less rocking of the engine. :welder:

Those of you who can bring your car to VA, I'd be happy to do any mods you like for $35 per hour and I'll sell you the parts at cost. PM me if interested. I'll hook you all up! :welder:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i was told by several people on the board that no modification should have to be used. only the PRO LX axels. and boosted MX told me that it would bolt rite up that he had no problems. so i dont know.
did you try putting in the passenger side in first. when i did my manual swap, my jack shaft was about a half an inch off, and wouldent go in at all. and iv changed alot of FWD axels. so i pulled out the driver side and it poped rite in with the jack shaft lined rite up, and i didnt even have to hit it.
acid_mx3

Post by acid_mx3 »

JWMotorsports:

I had seen your mods that you had made and they aren't near what's necessary to get this on my block all of the bolt holes on the Jack Shaft were just a half inch(or so didn't measure) to the Right of the Bolt holes on the Block.

I hadn't even put the drivers side Axel in at all I was only trying to get the Jack Shaft in and This setup I actually bought from BoostedMX and that was my understanding from him too that it would work on the B6

<small>[ April 11, 2004, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: acid_mx3 ]</small>
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The pics were of my Jack Shaft bracket and the holes in the bracket moved about .5" or a little more. You might try lossening the top engine mount and leave the top tranny mount off so there is some play to line things up. I had to drill new holes in the front and rear tranny brackets in order to get the engine and tranny properly squared up and positioned in the motor bay. You could have things far enough out of alignment that it's causing these install problems. With out physically looking at the positioning of the engine, tranny, and all mounts, its REALLY hard for me to figure it out. It doesn't take as much misalignment as you would think to move something 0.5 inches. twisting the engine on the "y" axis a little will make some differance. You have to go back to Alg./Trig. to understand what I'm saying here. If you can get a bunch of pics to me I may be able to further help you. Pics of jack shaft at block while in tranny, top of engine bay, bottom of engine bay, and pics of the mounts in place would be a great start. E-mail me if you can get the info. Hope this helps! :welder:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”