A/C Conversion Anybody Done This?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
hondah8er13

A/C Conversion Anybody Done This?

Post by hondah8er13 »

Hey I am about to do the A/C conversion to 134-A and i was wondering if anybody has done this and can help me as to what to expect i have no idea about a/c but i know my way around cars pretty good, just never did any a/c work.if anybody can help out thanx :freak:
Zoom-Zoom
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Re: A/C Conversion Anybody Done This?

Post by mx3TT »

Well basically you will have to take every single drop of R-12 out. Make sure its real clean in there and put it under vacuum for a while to make sure there is no leaks. You dont have to replace any of the o-rings in the system. You will also have to change the oil in the compressor and get new fittings for your service points. R-12 is screw on and 134a is quick disconnect. But why are you changing over anyway? R-12 is actually colder. I know its expensive and can be hard to find.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

You will also need to replace the receiver/dryer (or at least you should......whether or not you HAVE to I'm not sure). But around here, R-12 isnt hard to find (if you can find someone who does hvac for a living). Even at the shops around town, it is still cheaper to do a reseal and recharge with R-12 than to convert (from the people I have talked to).
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

Yeah you are right about the reciever/dryer, I left that out. Yeah its easy when you have your IMACA certification too.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”