clicking noise

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Redlined

clicking noise

Post by Redlined »

I took my car out today and put the battery in but I guess it was fairly dead. But when I turned on the headlights they started to click extremely fast and it did not stop clicking. There wasnt enough power to start the car but I turned on the lights and it was a loud fast clicking noise. Also I have the reverse glow gauges and the dimmer switch for them was on the ground, must have fallen off somehow during storage. :crying:
TekPmp

Re: clicking noise

Post by TekPmp »

I will assume the "clicking" is coming from the headlight relay. . .

1. relay, electrical relay -- (electrical device such that current flowing through it in one circuit can switch on and off a current in a second circuit)

What probably happened: When you turn on your headlights obviously the bulbs use electricity but in addition to the bulb's "power draw" from the battery there is also a relay or "electrical switch" that is activated. Relays are mostly used when a high current drawing device needs to be toggled on and off. When you twist that knob on your turning signal bar to switch on your headlights technically your are "TELLING" a relay to turn them on. The relay draws a decent amount of current itself. So, if your battery if barely charged and you turn on your headlights this is what happens. . .

1 - You turn your headlight switch to the on position.

2 - A relay uses some electricity to switch on the large amount of current to supply your headlights.

3 - Due to the high amount of current drawn by the headlights, your battery almost immediately discharges the last of its stored energy.

4 - Now that you battery is considered "dead" the relay loses power thus switching off the headlights electronically.

5 - Since the headlights are now off and not consuming power, the battery is able to again gather a small amount of energy to activate the relay

6 - Once the relay is activated again it switches on your headlights causing the battery power to be drained once again, deactivating the relay.

....this all happens in the blink of an eye. Try it again with the battery at full charge! If that doesnt work then my next best guess would be to replace the headlight relay.

Hope this helps! -Joe :2thumbsup:

<small>[ March 23, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Joe's 94 RS ]</small>
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

That was the most extensive helpful reply I have ever received hahaha Thanx very much it worked fine with a charged battery! Maybe you can solve my intake problem on the same page! haha thanx
TekPmp

Post by TekPmp »

Anytime, more than happy to help out a fellow MX'er. :shrug:
Black 94 RS, Erebuni MS style front, OEM sideskirts, Clear signals, altezza tails, 93 seats, Civic projectors
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

its ur low battery
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
TekPmp

Post by TekPmp »

haha or you could just say that ^^ :D

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”