Drive Axle

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
markgray74

Drive Axle

Post by markgray74 »

Hey guys we have a 1992 MX-3 w/ 1.6L. I am replacing the passenger side drive axle. My problem is that when i went to pull it out it came apart. I cannot get the end out of the tranny. The part still in is from the point were you fasten the rubber boot (end towards tranny). Is there any thing i can use to pry it apart or pull? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
OsoSlo z28

Re: Drive Axle

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

pry-bar.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

The drive shaft has a little snap-ring on the splines, the shaft should just pop out with a good tug but I've heard about guys having a lot of trouble.
If the shaft is really screwed, then yeah, put a pry bar on that knuckle towards the tranny and give it a shove as long as you're pulling straight away from the tranny.
You don't want to mess up the oil seal in the trans.
No Sig
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the oil seal is the least of your worries. those things are what...$5. you're main concern are the gears just inside the tranny that the axle go into. these are very touchy. they've been known to fall down or "off track" so to speak.

<small>[ January 16, 2004, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: OsoSlo z28 ]</small>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

Originally posted by OsoSlo z28:
the oil seal is the least of your worries. those things are what...$5. you're main concern are the gears just inside the tranny that the axle go into. these are very touchy. they've been known to fall down or "off track" so to speak.
I thought the oil seals were a big deal for some reason, I guess I stand corrected...
Regardless, go ahead and pry that mother out, but like Ash says, be careful not to wreck the trannies innards.
No Sig

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”