HOW TO?: Flush the brake/clutch fluid?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mohsan

HOW TO?: Flush the brake/clutch fluid?

Post by Mohsan »

I want to flush my brake/clutch fluid on my 1994, 4 cylinder, 5 speed. I see a total of 3 hoses (2 skinny metal ones, and 1 thicker one (rubber?)). How do I go about draining the fluid so I can put brand new fluid in there? Do I take out the thick hose, and let it drain....will this cause any problems such as air bubbles (not sure if that's a problem...never have done this before).

The shop manual isn't available online anymore, so I can't refer to that--so I'm asking here.

Thanks.
plusinfinit

Re: HOW TO?: Flush the brake/clutch fluid?

Post by plusinfinit »

I am not sure about pulling out any hoses or metal lines, but if u want to drain your brake /clutch fluid you will have to pull one of those out. Or you can just bleed the clutch for a long time till your old fluid is all gone. Keep on bleeding the clutch or one of the front brakes till all the old fluid is replaced by the new one and u see the new fluid coming out of the bleeder hose. You don't really have to pull out any hoses or lines if you don't want to. About bleeding the brakes.... you can go on google and search, you will find it very detailed. It's not hard. for example: http://www.teamscr.com/brakes.htm
Happy New Year evryone
StPapp
Freq2002

Re: HOW TO?: Flush the brake/clutch fluid?

Post by Freq2002 »

That last link is pretty eclectic, but does give you the general idea.
The clutch is much the same, the bleed port is on the slave cylender on the tranny.

Start at the wheel furthest from the master cylender & work to the closest. Best way is to run through the whole system once, then start again to ensure you're getting clean fluid from all the wheels.
Make sure you dont run the resivior dry, check it every few pumps. If you get air in the system it can play hell with getting it bled out, but wont destroy the braking system like that website makes it sound.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”