Poor gas mileage

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jmpc

Poor gas mileage

Post by jmpc »

I have a 96 MX-3 4Cyl. I have been getting terrible gas mileage. I have read on this bulletin board that a complete tune up should be done. I was wondering if a K&N air filter is really worth it as opposed to a stock filter given the difference in price.

Thanks,
Jean-Marc Poirier
schwankesmx3

Re: Poor gas mileage

Post by schwankesmx3 »

go to your local auto part store and get some fuel injector cleaner and while your there buy a apc or any kind of round aftermarket air filter and just put it on your maf and clamp it down and that should give you better gm
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
94' mx-3.....was all motor now awd bpt
91' 323....daily driver
78' cutless coupe...bad a-- mofo v8
95' eclipse gsx......awd turbo 11.4 eta
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

A K&N will help it breathe better at high RPM's, hence a mild increase in milage. If you take the snorkel off the filter box it will help a little too as the intake of the snorkel is much smaller than the hole it goes into on the box.
As for injector cleaner, not a bad idea but a better idea is to goto a local shop like Jiffy Lube or whatever you have local to you & ask about a injection system cleaning. They actualy use a 3 step proceedure that forces hard detergent through the fuel system. HUGE difference if you have gummed up injectors.
But yeah, you need to start with a good tune up. Everything, disty cap & rotor, plugs (dont worry about wires unless they are damaged), oil, tranny oil/fluid, get the timing checked just in case & eyball all the vacum tubing.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
electronaut

Post by electronaut »

Í don´t think it would help you. A tune up could do a little difference. I´ve got a mx3 too, with a "horrible milage". I´ve changed plugs, filters, new EXPENSIVE oil and all the other stuff. Still thirsty though. Cleaned the fuelsystem too. Didn´t help either.

<small>[ December 28, 2003, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: electronaut ]</small>
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

well i never really gotten bad gas milliage
but i go through more gas if i dont use premium

first thing
change the oil(or get it done @ jiffy lube or some place like that...i hate having to dispose of used oil)
also have em change the tranny fluid
then get a new cap & rotor
then get new plugs & wire...get good plugs..
change the air filter....
finally change the fuel filter...
then reset the ecu, by unhookin the battery & steping on the brakes till the tail lights go out...
then if u are still getting bad gas milliage..it something major in my opinion
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Only other thing i would like to bring up on gas milage is do you always buy your gas from the same place. If so try somewhere else my DOHC i4 was a bugger at times. I bought cheap gas from Race track and got 15mpg whereas texaco got me 28.. It pays to try somewhere else to see if its just the gas your running.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”