high Hp/Torque Tranny/Axel ?'s

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
acid_mx3

high Hp/Torque Tranny/Axel ?'s

Post by acid_mx3 »

Hey guys I'm in the works of trying to build up a very high HP motor for my MX-3 I'm using the 1.6L DOHC B6 as my base point. I'm shooting for a goal of 600hp-700hp @ the crank. my biggest concern at this point is I KNOW the stock tranny and Axels will not take this kind of power. so What I'm asking is what is available to put in place to help me get towards being able to handle my motor goals. I've heard that the BPT fits with the Protege Axels but I don't think that stock this tranny/Axel combination will suit my needs either.

Now I realize this isn't a Cheap venture so I'm not asking for a $20 solution however I don't need $4000 Axels that support 1600 Hp as that is more than 2X my goal and I'm sure there has to be an option possibly cheaper that will say maybe support half of this.

any and all honest geuine thoughts and Ideas will be appreciated.
Marlon

Re: high Hp/Torque Tranny/Axel ?'s

Post by Marlon »

get a bp block with a nb miata head
don't waste your time with the b6 dohc(not that it's a bad engine, theres just no replacement for displacement) :p
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

BElive it or not getting something that is 2x your goal will help a lot if your itending to use it as a daily driver.

If your interested in beefeing up the stocky though. I am not sure how much the stock axels can take but you can get the gears cryo treated for about 150$ and do some more reserach to find common places the case cracks and get them welded up to add some more strength.

And yeah your goal is a lot more streetable with a BPD with a NB head. =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
acid_mx3

Post by acid_mx3 »

ok so I've done some reading through the boards a assuming swapping in the BP is the same as the BPT (minus the fact that until I torbo it the BP is NA) this sounds like a feesible set up. I've made a few phone calls and with the BP nb head I wouldn't have to mod it at all until much tuning was done and I was ready to make the final ( and most difficult) steps towards my over all goal so now The questions start shifting to What can I do with the Protege Tranny/Axels? am I open to any new Ideas or am I being more limited. welding and Cyro on the gears are still definitely options unless something better is available

are there other trannies that will fit/work here that are stronger? I know the protege Tranny is stronger than the Mx-3 but anyone have any idea by how much?
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

boostedmx3 i selling a custom built trany that can hold like 650hp and hes gotr axels too
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”