1991 Protege Transmission into MX-3, differences?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
slingo

1991 Protege Transmission into MX-3, differences?

Post by slingo »

Well, this is my first time posting here, and i feel foolish posting a retarded question, i searched around a little bit and could't find any information about this
I blew out my diff. the other day (doing retarded things i shouldnt have been doing)
I went to the local pull-a-part and found a protege with a transmission that was the same as mine (physically anyway), pulled it, put it in my car, and now to my suprise the car feels completely different, it lost its "bite" so to speak...feels more like a grocery getter than a sports car, power shifting is .... hahahaha, not possible... whereas with the old transmission it took being slammed with a grain of salt (too bad the diff didnt huh?)
1991 protege, 16 valve B6 motor (didn't check displacement, im going back tommorrow for the shift linkage and i suppose ill find out then)
my car: 1993 MX-3 RS 1.6 SOHC, 187k miles on it
the new tranny has no markings on it, and feels really good, shifts well, but it just doesnt have the bite the old one did...
anybody know if the transmissions are different?
1993 MX-3 Ghetto h4x edition.
CAI hacked up from cheap autozone parts, Cat back from a local muffler shop (2.5''), Magnaflow big ricey looking but sweet sounding muffler.
torpedan

Re: 1991 Protege Transmission into MX-3, differences?

Post by torpedan »

Was it a DX or a LX? If its a stick the protege tranny is still farily aggresive but i think part of your problem is its a heavier tranny so you added more weight and more drivetrain loss =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
slingo

Post by slingo »

its a stick, it was a 1.8l motor in there, im thinking about swapping it into my car since my engines going out... not sure about the harness or computer requirements i would have to take care of though.. I've gotten used to the tranny today, it just needs more RPM to act like i feel it should..lol

any thoughts on the 1.8L swap? their is a DOHC protege out there too, BP i suppose, one step closer to BPT, i know alot of information is available about the BP(T) swap, but what about the 1.8L SOHC protege engine ?
CAI hacked up from cheap autozone parts, Cat back from a local muffler shop (2.5''), Magnaflow big ricey looking but sweet sounding muffler.
Som1Dies2Nite

Post by Som1Dies2Nite »

I checked in my manuel and the trannys is the same.In your mx-3 u have the F5M-R tranny and so does the protege. The tranny of mx-3(dohc)&protege(dohc) are also the same.Both of those are G5M-R.
Member @ ak-47.net
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

The trannie i got form a protege was diffrent..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the 4cyl mx-3's use an f-series tranny, the v6 mx-3's along with the protege lx(DOHC) use a g-series tranny.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Manach

Post by Manach »

Originally posted by slingo:
its a stick, it was a 1.8l motor in there, im thinking about swapping it into my car since my engines going out... not sure about the harness or computer requirements i would have to take care of though.. I've gotten used to the tranny today, it just needs more RPM to act like i feel it should..lol

any thoughts on the 1.8L swap? their is a DOHC protege out there too, BP i suppose, one step closer to BPT, i know alot of information is available about the BP(T) swap, but what about the 1.8L SOHC protege engine ?
Did you use the tranny from the 1.8l SOHC or the 1.8l DOHC?

I tried to search for the gear ratio of those tranny, but my link is down..

On my mind, I think the SOHC engine used a tranny with a smaller diff, then, longer gear ratio..
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

The Protege DX transmissions are the exact same units found in your 4cylinder MX3. The weights are identical...but the Protege DX's gear ratios might be taller by a bit.

If you want more stregnth, a larger clutch and much shorter gear ratios, get the Protege LX transmission. It might weigh another 5-8lbs. If you use this tranny you'll need to swap out your front hubs and brakes in favor of larger Protege LX or MX3 GS brakes so you can fit the splines. You'll also need the intermediate shaft that bolts to the engine block.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

hehehe yeah i have a lx tranny i think its a bit more than just 8 lbs more though i would say closer to 10-15
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
slingo

Post by slingo »

SOHC Protege, thinking of ganking the motor from it too, like $150 for a higher output motor.. the gear ratios are definitely taller, i can run 60 in second without being redlined... any thoughts on the 1.8 SOHC motor swap?
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Spend the money and find a DOHC you wont regret it.

Its a big diffrence going from a 1.6 to a 1.8.. you would wet yourself going from a sohc to a 1.8 dohc
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
slingo

Post by slingo »

hmm... will the motor mounts swap over to DOHC? or is it basically the same as a BPT swap like i thought it would be
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the 4cyl mx3 uses the same spline-count hubs as the pro lx. no need to swap hubs.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”