engine re-build and exhaust

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
DJGypsy

engine re-build and exhaust

Post by DJGypsy »

i had my engine rebuilt from the bottom up. new rod bearings, gaskets, timing belt, water pump, piston rings, had the pistons re-machined, had the head re-machined, ported and polished. she runs great now, i don't have to put in a quart of oil every 200 miles. total re-build cost, parts & labor: $1400 USD...done @ Maztech in Tampa, FL.

i went and re-did the whole exuast system as well. new high flow cat, 2 1/4" piping, 18" long resonator, and a canister/race/bomb style muffler w/ a removable silencer. this made the biggest performance difference i have ever felt with this car. total cost for muffler, resonator, cat, piping and labor: $300 USD. the removable silencer does it's job quite well when it is in place. normal conversation can be had @ 80 miles an hour. and even without the silencer, it's not terribly loud, and it is not raspy at all. just a nice smooth low tone, quite distinct, i've gotten thumbs up on it from enthusiasts, regular people, and GIRLS too!! :D lol

happy motoring!
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
torpedan

Re: engine re-build and exhaust

Post by torpedan »

Hehehe good to hear. I have a rebuild in store for my ol clunker some day but i have a feeling it is gonna break well before then. I have 2 motors at junk yards lined up for about 100$ per motor already though =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

thanks for the props bro. about your engine swap: i hope you have another car u can drive in the meantime, cause the MX will be down for a while. from the engine swap people that i have talked to, ricerocket666 as one of them, it's nothing like a honda swap where everything drops right in. there is a whole bunch of little things that are not realized until the engine is in and you have wires that have nowhere to go, and your windshield wipers don't work, among other things. however: if i had the time, $ and facilites, i'd be alllll about doin a BPT swap. good luck!
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

blaa ur car is slow!!! ;)
but don't skimp out and jerry rig the starter.. :2thumbsup:
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

jerry rig my starter? :laugh:

<small>[ November 14, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: DJGypsy ]</small>
-Dan

The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

not any more!!!
na last time we met u were saying u had to jerry rig ur starter with a hanger...i think :dunno:
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

I got to see the new beast :2thumbsup:
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

oohhh, i remember now...no, it wasn't my starter. it was my alternator tensioner bolt assembly which has since been repaired/replaced. as for you ron, i'll be lookin for you @ checkers! lol

only one problem...i think that my *new* exhaust is leaking @ the downpipe, i'm getting headaches from the damn fumes. we can't have nice things! :rant2:

<small>[ November 15, 2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: DJGypsy ]</small>
-Dan

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”