1.6L flywheel on a 1.8L tranny

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jap-spec

1.6L flywheel on a 1.8L tranny

Post by jap-spec »

Is there even a difference between the 1.8 and the 1.6 flywheel/clutch?

I am curious about this. I am using the 1.6L SOHC flywheel and 1.6L SOHC ACT clutch and the 1.6L SOHC tranny on my BP protege lx engine. I just got the clutch so I figure when i swap to the protege lx tranny i can use the 1.6L sohc flywheel and clutch pressure plate. Heres the catch! Just use a 1.8L Dohc clutch disc to be able to slide in the tranny spline and use the 1.6L SOHC pressure plate. I hope you know what I mean.
torpedan

Re: 1.6L flywheel on a 1.8L tranny

Post by torpedan »

yes there is a big diffrence.. BUT if you use botht he flywheel and clutch form either one together it should be transferable.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
jap-spec

Post by jap-spec »

Can you explain yourself better? Will I be able to use the 1.6L SOHC flywheel and the 1.6L SOHC clutch pressure plate on a Protege lx tranny if i just change the clutch disc from a 1.6L disc to a 1.8L DOHC disc so it can slide onto the LX tranny spline?
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

Originally posted by jap-spec:
Can you explain yourself better? Will I be able to use the 1.6L SOHC flywheel and the 1.6L SOHC clutch pressure plate on a Protege lx tranny if i just change the clutch disc from a 1.6L disc to a 1.8L DOHC disc so it can slide onto the LX tranny spline?
maybe, put the disks beside each other and see if there about the same size then try it
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”