New member, hello & HELP!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jsquared95

New member, hello & HELP!!!

Post by jsquared95 »

Hello folks, just signed up!

I'm hoping you guys can help me out- I have a 95 MX-3, standard tranny, 4 cylinder, 98000 miles. My problem is that the damn motor is ticking so loud I think it wants to blow up. The ticking gets louder and varies as I rev the motor- higher revs = louder, more frequent ticking. I am very familiar with working on cars, but I've never worked on an overhead cam motor before. Oil has been changed with nice, cheap 10W-30 every 3000 miles, and it's due again. I don't know what the problem is- Bent valve? Lifter? Injector? The other issue is parts- are there good places online, or do I have to grab my ankles and visit the local dealer?

A BIG THANKS for taking the time to read this!

Jared
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Re: New member, hello & HELP!!!

Post by mx3TT »

Change your oil and the tapping should die down for a while. Our engines usually tap from the lifters. Also check out CorkSport for some good aftermarket parts.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

get an engine flush then get some new oil in there
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Yeah be sure your not low on oil..

doing a flush can help it might jsurt be on of the hla's is starved for oil. running a 5w-30 sometimes will help this.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
jsquared95

Post by jsquared95 »

Ok- oil change it is. Should I go to synthetic? Will that make a difference in this motor? Also, has anyone tried a flush using one of those flush additives that is added to the oil, then removed after 5 minutes of running? I've been told I need to drop the oil pan to remove all the crap that comes loose and replace the gasket if I do a flush. Where can I get a cheap oil pan gasket? I'm gonna check that one place mentioned.

Thanks again, all!
Jared
jsquared95

Post by jsquared95 »

Hmm... corksport is definately not what I am looking for, but thanks anyays! I am looking for a place to get stock replacement parts cheap. This is my daily driver, so I'm not too interested in hopping it up... the beast hides in the garage ;-)

Thanks!
Jared

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”