oily radiator fluid?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
stupidtickets

oily radiator fluid?

Post by stupidtickets »

ok other than somebody actually pouring it in the radiator. what would cause oil ot be in my radiator? i noticed my overflow resivoir was a little dark looking towards the bottom. of course im was wanting to check it out. the stick connected to the cap is black and the there is actually oil on it. i drained my radiator fluid and yes it was about 50/50 (not exactly but enough). so what the hell is going on? any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.
torpedan

Re: oily radiator fluid?

Post by torpedan »

If someone put oil in it at one time it will purty much stay there till you tear down and replace a lot of stuff.. other than that it would take a really bad crack in the engine.. like it wouldnt ruunn.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

well my car runs fine no wait my car runs. but i seriously doubt some fool put it in there even accidently. ive asked around and only heard that "possibly you have a major crack internally." so maybe thats it. hopefully not. :(
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I thought a bad head gasket was the main culprit usually of letting the oil and coolant mix?
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

yep, leaky or blown head gasket, welcome to my world of several months ago. I was cleaning out my overflow tank every week just to keep it from being clogged. Thank God for a new motor.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

There a lot of tale tale signs for a headgasket though if ya needs to know just ask =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
msbmx3

Post by msbmx3 »

wow my overflo tank has been brownish for 3 yrs now and no probs at all. Had a feelin could be a bad head gasket but always put it off getting looked at. Ive done flushes to.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”