vacuum line

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
BEERDDWR

vacuum line

Post by BEERDDWR »

Hey every one I know this has been asked but the threads are gone or I can’t get a good answer so
if you could help.<p>The little vacuum line that comes off the air box right after the filter on the 1.6 dohc dose it need to be hooked up to the intake or dose a simple extra filter suffice. <p>Dose any body know what it dose?<p>
Thx for any help!!
96 RS DOHC
75 shot zex kit
Ebay Intake and cat back exhaust
sapper

Re: vacuum line

Post by sapper »

I have mine just hanging, with no filter on at all. Its been like that for about 3 months now. SOme people put a little filter on it, and I've enev heard from the mazda dealership they drill a hole in the air box just big enough for the hose to fit in right above the filter.
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
BEERDDWR

Post by BEERDDWR »

I have a little filter on mine I just wanted to know if I it was better or made any diferents what so ever if it was hooked up to the intake?<p> Thx for responding!
96 RS DOHC
75 shot zex kit
sapper

Post by sapper »

The tech at the mazda dealership told me the engineers wanted it filtered for some reason (Probably a good one) but I havent bothered to do anything with it yet, just been too busy to get a filter or drill a hole.
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Its egr related =] Not to important to have it filtered...
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I beg to differ, according to the many posts that I have read on this subject on here, it does need to be filtered. And you can get a little filter from Pep Boys for like $5 so why take the chance. As far as does it need to be hooked up, no, just put it out of the way if you put a new intake on. Or you can drill a whole in the filter and put it in easy. Just make sure to seal it. Use some calking or something.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

you would be suprised how many people just leave it hanging.. Heck when i first got my car the tube it connected to had broken off.. <p>filtering it was really a waste imo why put the extra weight in..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

What extra weight. It's a little piece of foam. LOL It might way an ounce. Here is a link so you can see what I'm talking about.<p>http://www.7453217467431.com/products/productDetails.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=1567021&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=385387&affID=39901&bmUID=1056556295765
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
BEERDDWR

Post by BEERDDWR »

thx guys :)
96 RS DOHC
75 shot zex kit
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

oucnes add up to pounds.. simple math eigh? you remove a lot of both and it helps.. why add when you can just remove.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Here's some "simple math" for ya. Vac system lines & the EGR sys are run thru a filter to prevent build up of dust, grime, grease etc. Inside the vac system, now think about it, it prevents the system from getting clogged. Prevents neat lil issues like incorrect timing, ECU control issues, mileage. As far as the EGR, what about dust in the engine? Yanno silly stuff.
Bottom line from the perspective of a professional mechanic: filter it or plug it.<p>Now, if adding an ounce, or even one pound is affecting your cars performance, you need to get another car. Whaddya do if ur gonna race, go take a crap & puke too? thats added weight yanno!!!
Puh-fukn-leeze! :roll:<p>[ June 28, 2003: Message edited by: Freq2002 ]</p>
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Hehehe.. why goto the extent of putting on a filter though if your gonna run the hose just plug it back into the intake..<p>And its not wether or not it affects the car is every little bit adds up..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”