MAJOR coolant leak...help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Ryencool

MAJOR coolant leak...help

Post by Ryencool »

Woke up this mornign, I knew i was leaking coolant, but not this much.
I can see where it is sorta and attached pics. I was thinking head gasket but can a head gasket leak that bad? and if not is it the water pump? I dont know much about the cooling systme, and I have my chiltons book out, just thought id get some answer from people who know and could offer ideas
coolant can be seen where I circled
Image<p>if anyone has any ideas where its comming from let me know please, car has to be ready to drive from NY to texas in july ;(
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
boostedmx

Re: MAJOR coolant leak...help

Post by boostedmx »

its the water pump. take it to a reputable shop to have it done. might as well have the timing belt done while your in there.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
jamario

Post by jamario »

It's da water pump.
IF LIFE DOESN'T OFFER A GAME WORTH PLAYING, THEN INVENT ONE.
Tron

Post by Tron »

I would say it's the water pump. Had mine replaced Oct of 2001 (1.6 DOHC). Had the timing belt changed at the same time for only the cost of the belt. No labor for the belt since they had to take it off to change the water pump.
Green 94 MX3 5 Speed 1.6 DOHC PRM CAI
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

either:<p>1: Your lower radiator hose came off (not likely)<p>2: Your water pump gasket blew (very likely). <p>The gasket is kinda hard to get at, and there is only 2 14 (maybe 12) mm bolts holding it on. Its a peice of **** too. Its made out of cardboard!! I bought a couple of them for $1.29 each from autozone when I was doing my motor swap.<p>
It COULD be your waterpump itself, but i doubt it.<p>
If your headgasket is leaking THAT much it is likely leaking into the cylinders too. if your car smokes A LOT when it runs, then you have a blown headgasket.<p>Start your car up and see if it smokes. If you have no coolant in your car, running it for 10 seconds won't hurt anything.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

oh ya, there are two gaskets for the water pump. The one i'm talking about CAN be accessed without removing a lot of crap from the motor. It has a pipe coming off of it, that runs under the exhaust manifold, around the other side under the thermostat and a hose connects it into the heater core inside your car. The pipe mounts to the waterpump directly, and between them is the gasket i'm talking about.<p>Tehre is also a gasket located more inside the motor (hard to explain).<p>i wish i had a pic to show you..
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”