mx-3 or mr2....

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ikedogg

mx-3 or mr2....

Post by ikedogg »

i regret to say that i'm looking to buy a 91 toyota mr2 and turbo charge that instead of dropping a KLZE into my mx-3.... what do you guys think... should i go with the turbo mr2 or the KLZE mx3?
and konstantine is walking down the stairs...
mzdspd

Re: mx-3 or mr2....

Post by mzdspd »

i would stick with the mx-3 i think they look better and a lot of people think they are slow but with that engine it should fly
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ike92gs:<BR><STRONG>i regret to say that i'm looking to buy a 91 toyota mr2 and turbo charge that instead of dropping a KLZE into my mx-3.... what do you guys think... should i go with the turbo mr2 or the KLZE mx3?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>if you're going to get the mr2, get the one that came with a turbo on it from the factory. i've read that the n/a mr2 has weak internals. either way, i'd stick with the mx.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

The first car I ever wanted was an MR2, so I know a bit about them. First off, buy one with factory turbo, try to get a 93 since they came with LSD. The only issue is that someone with an MR2 knows what they have, and you'll have to pay a lot of money for one. Sell the MX-3 on ebay, if its not pulling in the money you want then cancel the sale and try again a few weeks later. After that I'd try getting a loan for a few thousand. With the money from that you can probably pick up a DECENT MR2 Turbo. They should be running 200hp stock. The problem is the 91's, the most frequent model, often have problems when shifting into third, if my memory serves. The most frequent engine swap for an MR2 is for the J-spec 3S-GTE, which runs higher boost, I think 230+ horespower, and has less quirks than the american version. Also, you can put on a 93+ transmission with the Limited Slip to eliminate the transmission problems.<P>If I were you though I wouldn't be too picky about where you get the MR2 from. Check out mr2.xcars.com and the MR2 Forum. Just look up MR2 message board on google and they'll send you to the right page. It'll cost you a lot but an MR2 turbo, expecially with the J-spec engine, will toast an MX-3 with a KL-ZE.
SmokyMcGee

Post by SmokyMcGee »

I would like a MR2 ins tead of my ZE MX-3. I was looking at those before I got the MX-3.
eD
92 KL-ZE V6 FX-Designs kit
Sparkle Blue
http://smokymcgee.5u.com/index.html
CanadianMx-3

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

MR2 for sure its in a different league
Dedicated SR20 SLUT
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

go w/ the MR2 If I could get one for a decent price Id buy one in a second
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

well the reason i'm considering a 91 mr2 is because i can get it really cheap... and i was planning on throwing the greddy t-67 kit on it, but i've been reading that the intake ports on the head of the mr2s were designed with flaw, and that it's not uncommon to blow pistons due to uneven compression in the chambers (particulary number 3)... so now i'm beginning to rethink my decision...
CanadianMx-3

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

may I ask how much?<P>Im far away from Ohio and have no money for another car but just curious
Dedicated SR20 SLUT
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Yeah, the best MR2 I came close to getting was running a T-67 on a rebuilt engine with 10,000 miles on it and bored 0.020 over. I was gonna get it for $4000, he floated the valves but thought he blew the engine. Two days away from doing the title transfer he gets a new job and decides to keep it.
ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

he's asking 2 grand for the car... it has 107k miles on it and needs a little engine work, but that's no big deal. the body is perfect... and i believe the greddy t-67 kit would cost another 2 grand to get that car goin 0-60 in the mid 5's...
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Yeah, 0-60 in 5's, if you had a stock turbo. But since you want to put one on the NA engine you'll need the turbo cams, and might need to have the compression changed since you'll be running a turbo now. As well as getting a ECU from a turbo MR2, that'll run you about $600 usd. Go ahead and have the engine ported and polished while you're at it (well worth it since he has 100,000+ miles). Listen to me, making the N/A into the turbo is no easy task, you're better off taking the money you would spend for it and getting the 93+ J-Spec 3S-GTE with tranny (get standard dammit). That way you WILL be running 0-60 in about 6 seconds. But that will still only be after you take half a year and devote it into perfecting your shifting.<P>Oh, and I talked to someone local who knows more than I do about MR2's. It is the transition from second to third that will give you problems. It's quirky and you may end up grinding occassionally. It's actually rumored that double clutching will help this, I don't belive it (more Fast and furious talk people still say). Both the normally aspirated and turbo transmissions in the 91's and 92's have this problem, best to put in an aftermarket clutch to help alleviate the problem.<p>[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Hy300 ]
ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

well i've decided to just keep the mx-3 and drop the KL-ZE in it due to the all the quirks the mr2 has... thanks for everyone's help with my decision :)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”